Reflux almost soley at night?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello!  I haven't posted here in a while, but just recently had a 24 hour pH probe and it showed almost all reflux (severe reflux) happening at night.  Does anyone have any facts or have trialed melatonin?  Needing personal stories, side effects, etc if you have them.

Thanks!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Tasha melatonin is natural and great, but for sleeping.Reflus, the doctors do not help a lot, trust me. Check your Ph balance and start from there.

Hi, I am in USA, but try to find to order similar supplements, I know doctors are not going to help. Try yhose:

Royal jelly - that is bee product, amazing, check on google amazing for excluding your stress

Alkalife: Sport & Wellness PH Booster Drops, 1.25 oz (2 pack) for your water right Ph, if your body is accidic and it is. That is the main problem, make neutral like should to be is not easy, doctors are not going to help, that is diet.

the rest is for reflux and stomack, but Zantac, Prelosec (for limited time) all over the counter, you can buy cheeper on Ebay. When you go to doctors they prescribe Zantac and Prelosec.

Thorne Research Bio-Gest, 60 Vegetarian Capsules

THORNE RESEARCH - Gi-Encap 60 Capsules 

Integrative Therapeutics Inc. Rhizinate 3X,German Chocolate Flavor 90 Chewables Tablets

Gum Mastic, JAR, approx. 17g (like candys is from tree and only in Grece, read about, interesting

• Posted

Can discuss reflux with you if you wish but hvae nol had a ph probe but know I have it based on history and symptoms
  • Posted

Not sure if this could be of any help but my reflux really improved after lifting the top of my bed by 6 inches (ENT's recommendation - to put books under the bed) and not eating a few hours before bed time. Good luck!
    • Posted

that is not fixing the problem. You just helping yourself to get throu the night. To fix the problem permamently and do not get to the same problems, that what we are talking about here.
    • Posted

That did actually solved my problem as after 1.5 of a constant pain in my chest, sore tongue and throat I'm almost symptoms free after only making those few changes and eating healthily (but that didn't help on its own) Never had a problem with reflux at night time anyway. Other people's advice sounds good too!
  • Posted

Reflux happens mostly at night to sufferers because they're lying down.. It's because of gravity. People suffer less when upright (as long as they're not eating a bad diet) Sleeping with your head propped up a bit will help
    • Posted

I find mine is worse first thing in the morning and then for a bit. I try to sleep on three pillow to prop myhead up but it can be uncomfortable and give you a cricky neck!  LOL. And it is not a solution really is it.
    • Posted

No, obviously not a soloution, but I was just explaining why it's worse at night (and early morning) after you've been lying down. I'm surprised people didn't know that was the reason, that's all.

The soloution for me was diet. I'm pretty strict with my diet and if you stick to it there will be a big improvement (and if you don't cheat with it) There are probably diets for reflux online. I very rarely take reflux tablets now, maybe just once or twice a month. Healthy food makes lots of medication redundant! 

• Posted

Yes, the diet is big thing, acidic foods will triger all reflux, that is simple. I never have problem with sleeping, my reflux is wird. I just have accidic ph and very bitter taste in my mounth. Depent what I eat. I feel best after eating broccoly and worse sugar, coffe, beff. I avoid all bad accidic foods. 
  • Posted

I have been battling LPR for over a year. I have followed all the advice of no late night eating, low acid foods, drinking alkaline water, no fried foods, etc. I don't take any drugs except famotidine when I cheat with bad food.   This made most of my sypmptoms go away. 

The chronic cough is gone as is the constant throat clearing. I should say mostly gone.  I don't think it ever goes away, it just gets controlled.  I still drink beer sometimes and martinis a few times per week. A couple of months ago I read an article from a medical journal where 6 mg of melatonin was taken every evening to control reflux.  I've been taking 5 mg 2 hrs before bed.  I looked melatonin up and it is VERY safe. I have no side effects.  I did have strange dreams for a couple of nights in the beginning but that is it.  I still had some post nasal drip though until recently.  So, I made one more change.  I stopped red wine.  My drip is about 90-95% gone now. It was pretty bad.  I'm staying with the melatonin though because I'm not sure which stopped the drip the melatonin or the quitting the wine.  I'm just happy to be mostly normal!

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks Susan, very interesting. Most people say they get worse when they eat this or whatever, I am not like that. Will find out more about famotidine and melatonin.
  • Posted

Hi

Not wishing to probe into you personal details but if sleep apnoea features anywhere in your health you may like to read this.  I suffered badly with acid reflux for a number of years, always at night.  Then I discovered I had sleep apnoea.  Now I sleep with a CPAP machine for three years and from that night I have not needed one single drop of antacid meds.  My acid was caused by my sleep problem, strange but very true.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.