Reflux and omepraloz - a theory

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm testing a theory based on a journey starting about a year ago where I had so many symtoms like brain fog , pins needles , muscle spasms , hurting chest and I spent so much time with doctors checking the chest but clear . It wasn't until much later I could link all of these symtoms to acid reflux . So at that point I was given omepraloz which I took for about 5 days 

my chest seemed to clear . Pins and needles stopped and no closing of throat so it seemed the drugs were working whivh was to block / stop acid being made . 

But then all my ilness went to my stomoch and bowles and I was constipated and chronic pain in the abdomen . I was also producing bile in toilet which is horrible . 

I stoppec taking the omepraloz as I believe they had reverse effect and my stomoch was then not producing enough acid so food was not being broken down . Instead I got bile reflux 

this is my theory and if correct I'm expecting it to reverse again and again throat / chest etc from too much as the omepraloz leaves my system . 

If this is the case then il need to focus on another way to reduce the acid but not block it 

anyone else agree with this theory ? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yup, same as for me, I get syptoms from reflux but then even worse from PPI's!!

There are some very good books on the market that are acid relux diets, worth a try. I am sure you are trying to cut out caffiene, chocolate, alcohol, spicy, rich food and smoking, some people have intolerances such as dairy.

I hope some of the above helps, my misery lasted for years and ended up having surgery.

Very best of luck.

• Posted

That's really interesting Joanna that you relate to the theory . 

Out of interest was it omepraloz you tried and how long before it left yourvsystem ? 

Of course knowing I have acid reflux is one thing . Why I gave is another 

I'm guessing het hernier 

is that what you had ? 

• Posted

Yes James I was on one Lanzoprole 30 per day and sometimes up to two. It turns out I did have a h/hernia. I would urge anyone on long term ppi's to stop, two yrs ago my gallbladder stopped functioning!! This I am sure is all related too, I had no side effe ts from stopping them, I just work at my diet to keep acid levels down. I had a high octane lifestyle, drank alot of coffee and was stressed.

Regards

• Posted

Righty o 

im still trying to figure it out if we are producing more acid with a hernier or the if it's same amount but just escaping 

we talk about reducing the acid but isn't the acid needed ? 

• Posted

Yes we do need stomach acid to digest food, in fact many dr's prescribe too many, too little acid is very bad. I guess for some of us we are producing too much or it is escapi ng up the oesaphagus?? As for the h/hernia I don't know why they cause a problem digesting fats? Which was my problem.🙂

• Posted

No Fillian

I started to take one every other day for a couple of weeks, then stopped. Just changed everything in my diet which was hell and still is but I got off them. When I was first put in them i was told that they had absolutely no side effects!! Only when i read a few years later that research has shown that they affect the heart.

Regads

• Posted

This is a good discussion...thanks for sharing your experiences.  I started dealing with reflux, gut pain, and throat symptoms (persistent cough, mucus, clearing, etc) in January.  I avoided PPI's as I'd read right away in my research that they rarely solve the problem, but are rather a band aid in the short term.  I've improved my situation quite a bit by first lowering stress (this is critical in my opinion) and also going on a low fermentation diet (basically, very low carb with the exception of things that are extremely easy to digest such as jasmine rice, millet, rice cakes, etc.).  This helped a lot almost immediately, but I'm still having some slight issues such as congestion and occasional nausea.  I'm now tweaking my diet further to see if perhaps I'm sensitive/intolerant to some foods like eggs and dairy.  This is a long process, but I feel a lot better and am confident I'll continue healing.  Good luck all -- I like reading people's thougths and experiences on this stuff, so keep the posts coming...

• Posted

I like reading the experiences of using diet to help with acid reflux. My brief story: I’ve suffered from GERD for about 15 years.  Not overweight, but could lose some excess belly fat. Been on Omeprazole for about 10 years.  About a month and a half ago, I decided to change my diet. No bread, beer, or any other yeast containing foods.  Some carbs like pasta and rice, but not a lot. Minimal sweets.  Anyway, I’ve lost about 12 pounds just from eating healthier.  I’m in the U.S., so I can only buy the 20mg Omeprazole over the counter.  Had my doctor prescribe Omeprazole powder so that I can lower the dose.  I’ve taken 10mg/day for the past 7 days and have not had any rebound acid or heartburn.  Planning on tapering the 10mg down further in about a week or so.  My plan is to stick with healthy eating and hopefully be able to stop Omeprazole all together.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.