Reflux asthma or both@

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,  Can anyone help with these symptoms.  Firstly background Have had mild asthma diagnosed after a bad cold in 2002.  In 2007 I had some sort of virus which affected my throat made me feel ill and cause me to keep hacking up (if that is the right term) mucus all the time.  I had a sinus scan 

at the time nothing found.  Although didn't completely clear up was not really any trouble.  At the moment I am dealing with arthritis pain Ibs and anxiety amongst other things.  Earlier this year I had some reflux problems was given omeprozole.  Seemed to clear up.  Just lately have had a some reflux again.  I am on ranitdine twice a day.  This last 3 days sometimes after eating just something like a snack I get this awful feeling of needing to clear my throat constantly and the hacking feeling like there is mucus needing to come up.  Asthma inhaler does seem to help a bit.  I also find (in the past as well) that if I have a sneezing fit the same thing happens usually it only take about 1/2 hour at most to go but is lasting longer now.  My question is does this sound like asthma or reflux?

Any advice please.  I have a GP appointment for another reason but not for another week.  I also have some omeprazole just in case I need to take nsaids for arthritis pain.  So far I have managed without.  I have so many things wrong it is all getting me down.  Any one help?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to mention also battle with oral thrush (probably from inhalers).  Have had several courses of treatment in the past.  It flares up from time to time but never completely goes so don't know if this is in any connected
  • Posted

Hi,

I see you are on Ranitdine, have you ever been prescribed Lansoprazole instead?

I do not see anything in your post about you having a chest x-ray, has this been checked?

I have a lot of things wrong with me, after awhile doctors have to balance medications correctly to work with numerous ailments - which is not easy.

I think you should at least have a chest x-ray to see if its all clear. Your doctor can book you an appointment at any hospital in the UK, but check with your doctor when local hospitals do GP Chest X-Rays, because some hospitals will refuse if you turn up when they are running at a peak.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  No have not been prescribed Lansoprazole, but have had omeprazole to take whilst using ibuprofen which I don't do often as I have IBS and many things upset the IBS.  You are right it is not easy to balance lots of medications to deal with various ailments. No I have not had a chest xray for years. Why do you think this would be a good idea?  I have never smoked.  I visit my gp quite regularly because of all the different conditions and have yearly blood 

tests. 

• Posted

Hi,

Lansoprazole is what I was given after surgery, but I have been on them before for reflux problems. I know what IBS is like, it can play havoc when your on various medication or what you eat.

The reason I asked about a chest x-ray is because it sounds like you may have fluid on the lung/s. A doctor will probably say no if they listen to your chest, like many do - but there's no harm in asking to be referred for a chest x-ray just to be sure. A stethoscope is okay to a degree, but an x-ray will show up more. You say you never smoked, my wife has not either and had pneumonia when she was in her early twenties. It is better to be safe than sorry, so they say.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi libralady, asthma or reflux, well it could be both. What you describe could be what is called silent reflux - many of us on this forum have this - another name is LPR, laryngeal pharyngeal reflux.

Silent reflux is so named as you often dont get GERD symptoms, and the throat clearing, and mucus you describe are very typical of it. Basically the refluxate is getting further up the oesophagus and into the windpipe and some can be inhaled into the top of the lungs causing asthma like symptoms. I have read that about 10% of asthma diagnoses are not in fact primary asthma, but secondary asthma symptoms caused by LPR

It is important to adjust your diet, there's lots on the net about reflux diets, and to raise your bed around 6-8" at the head, or use a wedge pillow so that you are not flat and it is harder for the acid to travel upwards.

Ibuprophen is notorious for causing reflux - its hard you have to deal with the arthritus as well.  I dont know about the thrush. No doubt others will be along with more advice.

• Posted

Hello AcidTrees, Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately cannot raise the head of my bed but would be interested in the wedge pillow only thing I have neck arthritis.  I haven't taken ibuprofen for some time because of the digestive problems, but had been using ibuprofen gel for about 3 weeks.  It is supposed to cause less side effects.  I have now changed to Permanton gel from health shop which is made from green lipped mussel rather like glucosamine.  It seems just as good.

I had the asthma diagnosed long before I had these problems so maybe it is just aggravating the asthma which has always been very mild and under control.  I will look at reflux diets.  I did give up both orange juice and tomatoes which did help before, but have had a glut of home grown cherry tomatoes so that might be part of the problem.

Going back to ibuprofen gel have you heard of it causing problems. It is the only thing that I can think of.  I only take paracetamol for pain. 

• Posted

Good you take paracetamol for pain, the rest do cause problems.

Tomatos, yes i had horrendous oesophagitus from overdose of tomatos once.

Like you i already had asthma from early 20s (68 now) caused by allergies. I also have copd and when i have a flare-up from an infection, the drugs i need to take to control this cause increased production of stomach acid and worse reflux, and that's when the asthma is aggravated.

What a pain it is to try to balance out all these different things we seem to accumulate through life.

You take care smile

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words.  I only got the asthma 12 years ago I am now 66.  I find having so many health problems overwhelming and it does not help my anxiety either.  I agree what a pain it is trying to balance out different conditions and the drugs we need to take.  The last 2 years have been eventful broken wrist,2 cataract surgeries and worsening of anxiety and athritis  but also 2 new grandchildren making 4 in total they are a joy, so life is not all bad.  Take Care

Goodnight Carol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.