Reflux, burping constantly, esophagus feels odd at all times

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone, 

First post here, hoping someone of you may have some input on this condition I've been experiencing for the past ~9 months (started August 2016). What I have going on are the following symptoms:

- Whenever I swallow, no matter if its a liquid, food, or just saliva, it feels like the food goes down my esophogus and when it gets to my chest area, it seems to slow down and I can really feel the food making contact with my esophogus. It doesn't hurt, it'd just an odd feeling like the esophogus is a little smaller in that area, The food passes down with no issues, i don't feel like I'm choking or anything like that. I also can pretty much burp small burps on command. With the burps, they don't feel "complete" (IE they feel like they come up partially but I don't exhaust all of the burp. There are no particular food or drinks that set off these symptoms, the symptoms are always present. I first noticed these symptoms after a day of pretty heavy alcohol consumption (did a "kegstand" and I have been wondering if something could have occured because of that). I have been to the doctor/gastroenterologist several times for this condition and they have found nothing wrong. I have had the following procedures performed that all showed nothing suspect:

- Upper endscopy

- Esophogeal manometry

- Chest x-ray

I have tried the following medications:

- Rabeprazal

- Omeprazole

- Promeprazole

- Sucralfate 

- Nexium/Prilosec, etc

None of the medications seemed to do much other than cause bloating. I'm really at a loss. The doctor claims they can find nothing wrong but I feel something is very wrong. I do believe I have some form of IBS (started having IBS symptoms in October 2012, doctors could not find anything wrong), which i am able to control fairly well with a particular diet, but no matter what i consume I have these odd symptoms pertaining to reflux/odd esophogus feeling. 

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. 

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You say none of the medications worked, but how long did you take them for and what dose.? You need to take one for at least 4-6 weeks to tell if there is any benefit and the standard dose may not work for you so it does take time to determine if medication will resolve the problem 
    • Posted

Why would he take PPIs if he doesn't get heartbrun and the endoscopy showed nothing? No need for PPIs here in my opinion especially if no heartburn is present...

• Posted

The Omeprazole and Promeprazole were both used until the prescription was used up, so about a month each. The other 2 caused significant bloating and were each used about 2 weeks. 
  • Posted

Do you suffer from chronic anxiety? If yes then this is the problem, you have to try and manage it...
    • Posted

Is it possible to have stress/anxiety but not really feel that way? I don't ever really "feel" stressed but is it possible to have some sort of internal conflict/disorder to cause this? I make a comfortable living, own my home, have hobbies that I enjoy, and am in pretty good health, so there's nothing I really constantly worry about or stuff that eats at me/bothers me to an extreme. I don't smoke and don't regularly drink. Male, 6 ft, 180 lbs, 25 y/o.

• Posted

Than anxiety/stress does not cause this issue obviously...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.