reflux causing back pain...

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi i have been having pains in the centre of my back which radiates up to my left shoulder, I had reflux many years ago, but it's now returned with back pains, my doc gave me Lansoprazol but it didnt work, so i had the endoscopy, the Dr told me to keep taking the meds, loose weight, and take 70mg of aspirin every dayf!? anyone else getting pains i the back on here? the Lansoprazol doesnt seem to work its a 30mg pill...its really annoying because it starts when i get up and i have it all day usually...it's not excrutiating pain just annoying!!!

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kevin, I have never had any pain other than a sore throat with acid refulx. However, on this board I have read others talk about all sorts of pains related to refulx, but I am not confident they are always related. I have had upper center back pain that I believe was related to poor sitting posture and stress. I relieved it by sitting with better posture, using a heating pad. The heating pad is often over looked, but offered me great relief.
    • Posted

thanks, i will try the heat pad, see what happens.
    • Posted

I've had a recent repair op and should've had the foolow up appointment with the consultant at the 6 week point. Because of other things I had to postpone that to the 3rd week in May. This is one of those questions I shall be asking. How does this condition manifest itself in back pain. I also have poor posture at work and at home sometimes so don't know what is causing what. I do try to improve me posture but now always easy. I shall also be asking about excersise and if amything can put strain on the permanent sutures that are used to wrap the stomach. I'm glad now my appointment was delayed since you dont always think of everything at 6 weeks.
    • Posted

Excuse the spelling in my posts, have'nt found an editor yet and my eyes are not great
  • Posted

Hi,

I also suffer back pains related to GERD/ LPR.I apply warm compress using the commercially available hot water bag in your local chemist. Or I used to make one using an old sock and fill it with grains or sand  and tied at the end microwave it for few secs and presto instant relief. I don't take aspirin as it would cause issue s with my acidity. Hope this helps .smile

• Posted

I am a GORD sufferer for 12 years now and mine has always been back related, never chest related. I am due to have a scan on Friday for possible gallstones. I take 40mg Omeprazole daily. My reflux seems to have got worse lately hence the scan and I am also waiting for an endoscopy.
    • Posted

hi raffaela does your back pain go up into your left shoulder? mine is usually there or in the middle of my back, it's like a stinging pain or sometimes feels like something is pushing into my back.
    • Posted

hello kevinb1, mine actually is the opposite side, underneath my right shoulder blade, like someone is pressing there.  Apparently, my recent symptoms point to gallbladder problems but of course i won't know for sure until i have my scan which is tomorrow.  My reflux has always affected my back, especially my lower back, i used to wake up most mornings with horrible burning pain in my lower back and especially if i didn't take my Omeprazole.  I have a wedge pillow which i have had for years and this does help a little. 
    • Posted

I had my scan on Friday and she said no gallstones and gallbladder seems fine but i had a lot of 'gas'.  Am due to have my endoscopy on Tues so hopefully i will get to the bottom on my symptoms soon.
  • Posted

Hi I had back pains when my reflux was at its worst 3months back. It is pretty much under control now thankfully and back pain is gone. Warm compress with hot water bag is a great idea as someone suggested. It helped me a lot, I used it everyday. My doc said that reflux can cause all sorts of pain, front and back. It's all inter connected by nerves.
    • Posted

hi what medication did the doc put you on, if you dont mind me asking?
    • Posted

Hi, I realuse I missed replying to you. Apologies for my delayed response. I was initially on 40mg rabeprazole. then I reduced to 20mg of nexium (omeprazole). Now i am on 15mg lanzoprazole. I want to come off the PPI in a couple more months. But looks like my gerd pains are back, though not constant but they come and go(after I reduced to 15mg). Sigh sad
  • Posted

Kevin, although I only had the Hiatus Hernia repair this year, my hernia was diagnosed way back in 1983 when I was a young soldier serving in the army in Canada. I'd spent a weekend in Calgary having fun and drinking far too much (as youngsters often do), but ended up being ill with an extemely sore back (so much so that I reported to the MO... I visited the doctor (a Canadien army doc) and asseted that I had a problem with my kidneys. After querying my family history, he diagnosed a hiatus hernia
    • Posted

i was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia this week and i have burning/soreness feeling in my back, inbetween my shoulder blades for a long time now. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.