Reflux Dysphagia

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey all im an average 22 year old man and I believe I have LPR/Silent reflux I have all the symptoms such as constant coughing,clearing throat, Heartburn, feeling of lump in throat and swallow difficulties. I saw my GP abour 2 years ago and told him all this and he gave me omperazole to take once a day, and for a while it seemed to fix everything but now I am getting realy bad dyspagia it feels like everything Solid I eat gets stuck and I have to push it down with water and I seem to burp for a while. I choked on a small tablet that was named easy swallow vitamin tablet funny enough and I couldnt breath for minutes and genuinely thought I was going to die but luckily it eventually went down and since then I am realy scared more than ever to eat solid foods. so I saw my gp yet again and he told me to take 2 omperazole a day now but still I struggle swallowing foods and often dont eat for 2 days in a row now. I am going for a camera down my throat in the next few weeks, its seriously the most depressing thing being scared of eating and just thinking about choking all the time I also suffer with Oral allergy syndrome dont know if is related at all.. I know alot of people say its just anxiety or stress or what not but I think it can be something else because some days are easier than others, And recently my throat feels realy irritated at night and I can a lump in my throat. Does any one else suffer this much and found a fix?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Read Dr Jamie Koufmans book "The Cough Enigma" and give your gp a copy. I did 4 weeks ago and now am almost cough free just by following her recommendations

• Posted

Hi Mary. Did you also get wheezing, breathlessness? Was it worse after or during eating or at any time>
    • Posted

No wheezing or breathlessness just constant cough and tho art clearing with sinus congestion. Eating definitely affects it. Doesn't seem to matter what it is. The minute I ingest anything it seems to start. I have been using alkaline water which seems to be working well. Chewing gum is the most effective . Can't tell if that's because of saliva production or tension release. This is the best I have felt in 5 years. But it hasn't gone away completely. Have dr appt on dec 1. Will know more then but symptoms are much better after 5 weeks following dr koufmans book
    • Posted

The fact that alkaline water helps tends to point to needng to lower acid and increase alkaline. You can help the cough with a blue and brown ventolin inhaler, I had this for a while and now find the best thing to help me is a salt pipe which I use twice a day.

For the firsst time in ages can sleep all night without wheezing and/or coughing , at least until I wake and then its not so bad. And itis natural, no side effects. Lots of sites sell them including amazon.

• Posted

It is not anxiety. Shame on anyone who brushes it aside like this. In fact the usual symptoms for anxiety are quite different.

There are natural things you can try but cost - the cheapest is bicarbonate of soda. But what works for one might not help another or make the other worse.

• Posted

Hi Yesdave

As a temporary measure, try chewing your food until it is liquidised, then it shouldn't get stuck. We should all do this, of course, because the enzymes in our saliva go toward digesting our food properly, and chewing our food properly (until liquidized) is the first stage of digestion.

Hope you're well soon!

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.