Reflux for months then fine for months. Maybe someone else has experienced the same?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi - thought i would share my story to see if anyone could maybe help.

I am currenlty 36, male, 5ft 11in, 13st 7lbs. I exercise regulary and have an ok diet.

About the age of 17 i went to the doctors with heartburn and was put on PPIs (Pantroprazole) 40mg. For years i took these on and off when symtoms showed up and to be honest they were like a miracle pill.

About 6 years ago out of the blue i started having really bad reflux and nothing would take it away. I had an endoscopy that returned nothing abnormal and the consultant simply said to double the dose of PPI which i ignored. Then like magic the symptoms went away.

Since this event i have religiously taken my PPI every night before bed. Some days i could leave it for 2 days. I could eat whatever i wanted and no issues.

Then a few years later the same thing happens and i start to get really bad burning in my throat. I had another endoscopy in London which again found nothing. It tested for EoE (eosinophilic esophagitis) which was negative. The scope showed normal esophagus and stomach. I found this surprising as it literally felt like my throat was on fire. The consultant did mention that there might be a small hiatal hernia but that he wouldn't expect any issues with it. Funny thing that during the test i had no symptoms (possibly due to nerves). The main burning sensation i have is just below my Adams apple. I dont have any regurgitation. I also have reflux first thing when i wake up in the that water would even trigger. This was on the 5th May 2015

Just a few weeks back i have started to get the same symptoms again. One thing i can trigger to these events is that i was lifting weights (not heavy though) before this starts. However times i lift weights and no issues.

My main symptoms are:

-Burping

-clearing throat in the morning.

-burning sensation in throat.

-Dull Ache when breathing upper left chest

-Hard to get a full breath without rasiing my shoulders.

-Reflux and burping after 20 mins from waking.

Not sure if anyone has experienced anything similar or can offer any advise. I have currently doubled my PPI before breakfast and dinner and to be honest it doesnt seem to be making any difference.

Look forward to hearing from you.

All the best

Mark

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Reflux can come and go as you describe; I have this and my endoscopy showed nothing either. It was thought I had a weak oesophageal sphincter. Standard antacids and milk help me. Most of your symptoms sound like mine except for the burping and difficulty getting a full breath.Not getting a full breath sounds like a gastritis symptom or anxiety. Was gastritis mentioned? Try eating little but often, chew your food well and avoid anything rich fatty, or spicy. Don't eat late at night. Do a food diary.

• Posted

I did not have the throat issue.

But suffered other issues. Especially the one you are talking about which says "stomach problem occurs just after waking" .

I had got hpylori.

Did you check for that?

• Posted

I have the same symptoms. I burp a lot and have pain on left side under my ribs that radiate to the back. I experience bloating a lot as well. but all these symptoms come and go. I could be very fine today and eat whatever I want for a month and the next day all the symptoms flare up . I have acid reflux and small hiatal hernia ( found via endoscopy early last year).

I m on ezomeprazole on and off depending on the severity of the symptoms.its very stressful living with this condition.

• Posted

Over the years I had all the symptoms and various tests showed a small hiatus hernia, gastritis (twice) and Helicobacter pylori (HBP). I had 3 courses of PPI and the triple whammy antibiotics for the HBP. However I was told to wean myself off the PPI due to the long term side effects. I manage now with antacids and the occasional PPI. But I also watch my diet very carefully and don't have the foods I know cause me problems.

• Posted

thanks everyone for the comments. i have started to use some new digestive enzymes from Design for health which seem to be helping.

i have just ordered another full GI map stool test and a SIBO test.

until then i am managing the symptoms during this flare up.

i will keep you updated on my progress

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.