Reflux into mouth?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Since October I've been having severe reflux multiple times a day - I have no symptoms of heartburn but I frequently feel sour, acidic tasting liquid flowing into my mouth, I chew gum all day to try and get rid of it but it never works and it causes my teeth to ache. I've also been sweating a lot at night which I've heard can be related to GERD - though that has abated recently.

I've been on Omeprazole, Esomeprazole, Ranitidine etc and nothing has worked. I've had an endoscope which has come out clear and I have a PH study booked for next week.

I was just wondering if anyone else can identify with this and tell me if it ended up being acid reflux, bile reflux etc and whether you got it sorted?

Most of the stuff I've read online has been surrounding people who have heartburn, sore throats and so on. I haven't seen much discussion from people who're almost purely symptomatic in the mouth.

Any help would be much appreciated - I'm really at my wits end! Thanks!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

About 40% of those with acid reflux report never experiencing the pain of heratburn. However your symptoms do sound like those of reflux.

Acid suppressant drugs are good at their principal job of reducing acid so reflux is less dangerous but are not so good at reducing the reflux itself which needs to be managed by lifestyle.

Go to the www DownWithAcid org uk website / book and find the chapter on extra-oesophageal reflux to find more about it.

• Posted

Ugh, I wish I didn't have heartburn with my acid reflux. For me, my entire chest burns even into my upper back and shoulders. I get the sour acid thing, you mentioned. It sucks. My teeth never usually hurt though. That's only happened once before when I was initially diagnosed with GERD. I often get really bloated pretty easily and need omeprazole to help with the symptoms. I never have had an endoscopy done, surprisingly enough. Try drinking milk and laying on your belly. That usually gets me gurgling and the problem stops. Also, when sleeping try sitting up at an angle to keep the acid down. Good luck to you.
    • Posted

You should never drink milk for heartburn, its full of fat and often makes it worse. Drinking grapefruit juice works,its a different kind of acid which balances with the excess stomach acid. Surprisingly it does work
    • Posted

Oh lol. I was told to drink milk because it helps with the throat burning. It's so hard getting this reflux thing straightened out.
    • Posted

Yes it can help as your actually drinking, but shortly after it tends to make things worse unfortunatly :-(
  • Posted

Hi hope this helps.

Yes I got lots problems with mouth ulsers

Nasty metallic taste in mouth

was told breath smelt as if been eating strong garlic.

I have acid reflux it makes my Teeth feel sensitive at times.

Was on omeprazole but didn't help or agree with me made me feel very booted windy

Didn't help with reflux or the holiday taste in you mouth especially on waking

And pain when trying to sleep to name a few.

Changed back to Lanzoprazole 30mg In morning

and now Ranitidne 300mg before bed .

Helps me still not right but lot better

I am on waiting list with Surgeon Mr Neville Menezes

go back to see him on 28th April.

Hope helps

Feel free to ask me more if you want

Good luck hope you get it sorted out

• Posted

bingo George.  This is my predicament as well.  Please let me know any suggestions or resolution to the problem.  What does the ph study determine in the interest of managing symptoms?  Thanks,

Paul

• Posted

Hey Paul - the PH study let's them see the frequency of reflux episode, how long they last, how far up they go, how acidic they are and so on. It's basically one of the tests in the long line of many for finding out the root cause.

For me the only relief at all I've found so far has been by switching to a strictly alkaline diet - even then however I still get some symptoms.

• Posted

George,I've had this stuff for about 6 years (acid reflux). I was denying it because I didn't have heartburn or indestion. What I had was noise in the back of my throat when I swallowed. And occastionally spent up a clear mucas (maybe a tablespoon). Also at times been nausea for no reason and had to lay down for a few hours. Then it would go away. Been to several ent's & they all said Acid Reflux. Went to a gasro doctor and he said the same thing but perscribe a medication for it. Dexilant once at night before bed. So far it seems to be working. I've tried all the ppi's Nexium and all the rest but none worked. Dexilant helps me. Talk to your doctor. 
    • Posted

Thanks Mack - that's fantastic. I'll be seeing the technician for the PH study next week so I should see my gastro doctor shortly after - Ill note that down to raise with him.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.