Reflux issue / night time choking

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

For a while now I have been experiencing night time choking. It happens once every few weeks or so. I will be awoken from my sleep unable to breathe like there is a blockage in my throat and I will cough strongly until I can breathe again. It only takes a few seconds. Last night was my worst experience yet and I coughed up a small amount of liquid also.

I also have a persistant sore throat and cough. I have been to the GP about this previously and it was identified I had a throat infection, which I was given antibiotics for and it cleared up. However I still have an underlying sore throat and cough.

Ive only recently looked up the symptoms and the internet has revealed acid reflux, gert and hiatal hernia as possibilities. I don't have any other symptoms, no heartburn, no chest pains, no vomiting or trouble swallowing or eating.

I also do weightlifting and because of this I was worried whether a hiatal hernia is causing this. Obviously this is worrying me.

I have booked an appointment at the GP but can't get in until the 29th Dec. I'm not sure what I need to say to him to ensure I get the right tests and referals. I don't want to just be prescribed antacids or meds because of my worries about potential hernia.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dan,

Just tell your doctor you are worried this may be linked to your stomach. I had similar symptoms and was put on lansoprazole to start with. It did get rid of the cough initially but then my symptoms got gradually worse. It may be you do have a hernia but they would still put you on meds if that was the case. You sound like you maybe experiencing regurgitation at night. I don't eat for 3 hours before bed or drink for 2 hours before bed or I wake up with a similar feeling!

• Posted

Well before your appointment you should write everything that happens to you in a diary such as when the coughs start to occur, how bad they are and how strong they are, the same with the soreness in your throat and other symptoms. Once it happens, write it down and any other details about the symptoms if you can, then that would make it easier for you GP to diagnose you/give you the right treatment. But I doubt they'll give you anything else but meds as there wouldn't be anything else they could do unless it was very fital. But still, give your GP the diary and what you think the symptoms are linked to and go from there and keep writing the symptoms into your diary until you feel you're getting better. I hope you find the answers you're looking for smile
  • Posted

Hi Dan, I can't speak for anything other than acid reflux (AR). I also have been a weight lifter for many many years. To be short eat alkaline foods only. You can google "dropping acid Koufman" + "meal examples" or "alkaline meal examples". Also, sleep on an incline. Put bricks under the head board legs or sleep on a wedge. If not available spleep on a lazy boy with an incline. Don't eat or drink for 3-4 hours before laying down. Bend down using your legs. If you lift don't become horizontal and lift in the morning before breakfast or drinking. You sound like you have AR and if this should be very helpful. I took Bayer timed release calcium for several weeks after dinner and it helped me when I was suffering from a sore throat. The calcium helps prevent stomach acid and it feels like it dries you up inside. When my sore throat healed I stopped taking calcium.
  • Posted

Is there a likelihood this could just be caused by how much im trying to eat and how much milk im drinking? I do this because of the weightlifting and trying to gain weight. I have gained about 2 stone this year about half of that being fat which mostly has gone on my midsection. I never had the problem previously when i was lower weight and doing alot of cycling.

Im hoping its a transient problem rather than a chronic one because if i look up acid reflux there are loads of terrible diseases associated with it like oesophogeal cancer, lung fibrosis. 

• Posted

This is my take on AR. Our bodies are not meant to consume so many acid foods. It causes irritation and inflamtion. When you consume allot of acids and then do non beneficial behaviors like lay down soon after a meal or exercise after a meal. It lets the food flow up the esophageus (ESO). Your ESO is not meant to handle gastric juices causing it to become injured. This irritation can travel up the throat as gastric juices or fumes travel up. To heal you need to follow the recommendations from your MD or that you learn from good sources. Once you heal then you can loosen up your diet and behaviors to be more normal. I would read very carefully my last message to you. I gave you the route I took to heal myself. I wish someone would have given it to me, but I had to learn it myself. I see lots of people asking questions on this forum, but they tend to focus on things not important or look for a magic solution. It's like if I ask you how do you get from the gym to your home? You then give me the best route you have learned from years of driving. I then ask what if I take another route what about that? You state nope use my directions. Then I ask how about if I take this other route....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.