Reflux really stressing me out

Posted , 7 users are following.

So i've been suffering from acid reflux for the past 3 months and some of the pain it's been causing me has been really stressing me out. I get really bad pain when swallowing sometimes and mainly in my neck, also sometimes behind my breastbone and around my shoulder blades. I was just wondering if anyone else gets this as I don't want to keep going back to my doctor asking them. Also I get pain around my back it's not really screaming in pain just really uncomfortable pain that I can sort of tolerate. I have taken antacids and they have somewhat helped but sometimes it just keeps coming back whenever I think about it, the pain that is.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have experienced the breastbone and the back pain, as well as other related reflux symptoms. The best advice i can give is too restrict your diet and avoid any acidic or trigger foods. Take your PPIs as well to give you esophagus and sphincter a chance to heal. I would also get some Gaviscon Advance to help give you a break when your having bad symptoms 

• Posted

Maybe you should see a doctor first do some ultra sound on your gallbladder for you to make sure that it is not related to stone
  • Posted

You probably need PPI medication to calm it all down go back to your doctor and ask , also look st what you eat no fatty foods spicey or highly seasoned foods coffee alcohol or fizzy drinks try eating really healthy foods like chicken no skin on fish vegetables 
  • Posted

Hi Christophe,

I can relate to all of your symptoms.

Back pain in between  the shoulder blades.

Neck pain/ache.

..............plus some that you haven’t mentioned:-

Left shoulder pain

Occasional throbbing in my sternum and sometimes heartburn.

I haven’t been diagnosed with “gastric reflux” but when I’ve been reading everyone’s accounts of their troubles I’m pretty sure I’ve got the same. 

I’m curious to know how it develops because it’s come on quite insidiously. 

I rarely see the same Doctor when I go in but I’m feel quite frustrated that none of them seem to know as much about gastric reflux as the sufferers on this forum.  

Though I wouldn’t wish suffering upon anyone else I do find it a relief to know that one is not alone. 

Kind regards

Jane 

• Posted

Two things that really helped me were: raising the head of my bead by 6 to 8 inches, and taking Gaviscon advance EVERY night when I get into bed. When I was really sore, I even set the alarm for 4 hrs later so that I could take another dose of Gaviscon, to see me through the rest of the night. Also don't eat for at least 4 hours before going to bed, don't even lie flat on the sofa, or slouch in a chair within 4 hours of your evening meal. If you smoke or drink alcohol stop both, also cut out coffee, or at least go onto de cafe. I can't tolerate anything with tomato in it, or spicy things, I don't seem to have much of a problem with fat. The only fruit I can eat is a banana. Don't eat too much at once and don't wear tight clothing, I usually put my dressing gown on before I eat my evening meal. Sometimes just drinking a glass of cold water can help, I didn't believe this when I first heard about it, but it helps me. If things get worse especially if you have difficulty swallowing or you are constantly being woken up during the night with bad reflux go back and see your doctor, you may need a stronger PPI or a higher dose to get things under control.

• Posted

Thanks all good to know it's all to do with reflux so many irritating problems from just one thing. Yes I've been using gaviscon and raised my bed. Was also wondering I've also been experience a sensation in my neck, not globus. It feels like the inside of my neck is full of fluid or something and it hurts sometimes when i swallow but swallowing food or drinking isn't an issue just a bit sore. I also get a bit of a twinge pain at the back of my throat sometime but there's nothing there indicating a problem really strange and freaking me out too. Is this also a part of reflux?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.