Reflux reassurance

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I've been told I have reflux this is without any tests mind you it's been bad for ovr a year I lost nearly 7 stone because of it I went to doc because I was taken a&e for severe chest and arm pain directly over heart so painful ecg fine pulse fine so I'm asking if anyone else gets this the most worrying is the sharp chest pains that last hours and even when they are gone leave niggly pains in chest 4 up too 48 hours doesn't feel right in there I also have dry sore mouth and acid bile occasionally I don't eat trigger food cut it out but I barely eat anymore because I'm so scared it's taking it's toll on me I feel like the doctors don't care or listen like I'm banging my head against a wall sorry 4 going on I'm on lanzaprole 30mg but still no relief is this normal do others get this thank you

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

I am too having acid reflux problems and have lost 2.5 stone up to now because of it as I have the feeling of lump in my throat and am mainly on a liquid diet for now!  I stareted with chest mains/heartburn and had ecg's etc and they were all fine then they started me on Omeprazole 20mg twice a day and that go rid of the pain in a few days.  But with still suffering with the lumpy throat my doctor has changed me to Lansoprazole 30mg one a day but he said that I can have it up to twice a day if things get bad.  I went for a gastroscopy but couldn't go through with it as the doctor wanted me to do it without sedation and I was unable to that so I am now waiting for an appointment ot have a Barium Swallow xray done instread so will see how I get on after that and see what it shows up.  Maybe you should ask you doctor to have some kind of test/procedure done so then at least you know what it is or what is causing it for sure?  You shouldn't really be having problems when you are on medication and are already watching your diet - maybe it could be something else?

Sorry if that doesn't help much.

Amanda.

• Posted

Thank you for replying I had the same problem on omezaprale lump in throat so they took me off I've tried every avenue with my doctor I am on thyroxine as had cancer in thyroid so I thought maybe it was that it wasn't rolleyes I just think it's frustrating that the docs can say oh it's reflux like it's nothing when in fact it feels so disabilatating hope you get some help soon it's unfair to refuse sedation for something so scary thank you again for replying xx
    • Posted

Hi, no problem at all.  Its just reassuring that there are other people out there suffering the same as us and it is very frustrating that the doctors just say is acid reflux when you want to get to the bottom of it and get it all sorted.  I just want to be able to eat properly again. I was fine and could eat what i wanted before all this and before I took some uncoated steriods that I had for a chest infection!   I know if I need a camera again I will have to get something off the doctor to chill me out next time! Thanks for reply to me too and please keep in touch if I can be of any other help to you.

Take care x

• Posted

I agree could eat anything until the doctor said I had h plylori and was put on strong antibiotic and medication I agree I just want to feel normal again be able to eat even a salad without fear an pain I think I will see my doctor again and push for some tests or a professional in this field and I hope you get better results the doctors should be more understanding and realise that although this is there job they aren't the ones going through it the least they can offer you is something to calm you it isn't much to ask same to you feel free to contact me whenever and thank you for your time it is nice to know I'm not alone

Take care x

• Posted

It is so rubbish that one minute we were ok and could eat anything and now I am just on liquids with the treat of the odd boiled sweet!!  I have had no alcohol in ages not that that really bothers me but it would be nice to go out and have the occasional glass of wine, I got through Christmas and my birthday wihtout it anyway ha, ha!  Yes I would push for more tests and I have been told hat ENT (ear, nose and throat) doctor are supposed to be helpful in this field.  I might do that myself depending on what the result of my test is when I have it.  Thanks you to you too and please keep in touch. Amanda x

• Posted

Hi samantha:  I am in the US and  had to do a conversion to lbs.  7 stones is 98lbs!  If that is correct, your doctor should be alarmed that you are not able to eat to maintain your weight.  You should look up the side effects of any drugs you are taking.   Thanks to you, I just looked up mine and found that Flonase had gastrointestinal side effects.  I will shortly be looking for an alternative as I have had digestive issues for all the years I have been taking it.  If you can't eat a balanced diet you are bound to have nutritional dificiencies.  I am concerned that you may have a potasium dificiency.  It can make the heart have pain.  I don't think it can harm you to try a daily supplement.  You will be suprised to see that a potassium capsule only supplies about 3% of the daily requirement.  Our bodies use alot of it.  Depending on your age, many women have been found to have heart disease.  You need to have more testing since you mentioned that you also have arm pain.  Normally, acid reflux symptoms are confined to the lower esophageal sphincter (center of chest bone) and stomach.  Sometimes, the acid can go up higher than that, in some people.  If your doctor is not cooperating, you may have to go into the emergency room of your best local hospital the next time this occurs.  You will get a second opinion and more tests.  I hope some of this is helpful. 
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the information I will look into it yeah I have looked into my drugs I take levotyroxine to replace the thyroid and since the doctor made some mistakes during the operation I have to have vitamins injected and orally take them I will look into the potassium my chemist is reluctant to even give me medication as I'm on so much 😔 I thought it was weird that my arm hurt too and have checked lots of forums on reflux and although it's not common it's not unheard of and as my pain is centered to the left I'm constantly worried I'm having heart attack I'm 34 an a smoker ( I know I should quit lol I'm working on it ) but the doctor just says ecg blood and chest xray are fine and won't send me for further testing I have just got a ent app for 12th feb so I'm hoping as strange as it seems that if I present it to them they may take it seriously and help can't hurt I guess

Here in the uk the doctors are supposed to have a system where they get flagged if a medicene will react to another although this never happens and leaves me to do my own research which is annoying but needed it's been a long 2 years and I really just want answers from someone rather then stop the stress lol as for the weight I was overweight so I've gone from a size 24 to 12 in a short time the doctor just says well it's good that you lost weight gotta love a sympathetic doctor lol thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate it hope your sorted soon x

• Posted

I'm having the same problem. The pain is so bad I can hardly stand it. Does your pain increase throughout the day? Mine becomes so bad I'm crying myself to sleep every night. I can barely eat and I've lost so much weight I look like a skeleton. None of the over the counter acid reducers or blockers are helping, at all. I have had a ton of tests done and still no answers. I can't even go out or have people over because I'm in do much pain. It's a living nightmare....
    • Posted

Hi Hun my symptoms usually start about 1-3 in the morning but today I've had arm pain worsening through the day as well as the niggling chest pain so it does happen through the day as well when it gets really bad I can't even swallow I've stopped going out to eat because of it and it wears me out physically so I don't have a life no more it has taken over my life I'm so scared it's something serious and will leave my kids without there mother sad I'm sorry you are going through this what have docs said ?
    • Posted

I'm so sorry for all that you are going through, as well. I too am in fear for my life.

It's been over seven months and I've had countless blood test. Upper and lower endoscopy. CT Scans. 24 hour monitoring. Hyda scan of my gallbladder. Ultra scans. I've also had major problems with my back so I've had two MRI's. And, right after the burning started and they put me on high doses of so many Acid blockers, my heart races upon any excurtion.

I'm very nervious because on Thursday the GI doctor will be going in through my mouth, down my stomach, and in to my lower intestines to take a look and take some tissue samples. This surgery is not done often and only a few doctors do it. I don't do well being put under and I have a lot of never pain from my back which I'm very nervious about be my small intestines sit right over my nerves. I never been sicker or in so much pain in my life. All the meds they give me I have reactions to... I pray and pray and pray... I have to leave it in Gods hands.

• Posted

Oh Hun you have been through so much already I had a endoscope done last year that's how they found h plylori I really hope they give you some answers from this you are very brave and although I haven't always been very religious I find myself praying more lately tonight I will make sure to include you in mine I really hope there is a end to this for all of us and if I get some answers I will be sure to let u all know feel free to message me anytime x
    • Posted

SMB Good luck on Thursday I am sure everything will be fine.Like everyone else I too have had those feelings of doom in themiddle of the night when my throat begins to restrict due to the acid. So seeking advive from anywhere I can get it and one of those sources as been from a fella called Wayne Dyer who has written numerous books. You can find him on Youtube and one of his main tenetes is to remain positive because when you think negatively you just spiral down.Best wishes Ted
    • Posted

Thank you Ted. I do know of Wayne Dyer. I'm dokng my best to stay positive a focused. When the pain becomes overwhelming, I have a tough time....
    • Posted

Hi Hun been thinking about you how did it go ? Hope you are ok and have some answers I am seeing ent thurs and have done some research on candida so I'm going to ask lots of questions and make a nuisance of myself lol will let you know if I get any results smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.