reflux symptom???

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all,

everyone on here has been so helpful with my reflux symtpms...but there is still one thing I can't figure out  -I can only eat a little bit and then I will start to feel the food getting stuck in my chest and I start getting the chest pains (indigestion). I am so sick of this - yes, I had the stomach emtying test and it was normal. I just want to be able to eat a good hearty meal...is this a symtom of reflux...the meal I eat tonight was veggies and pork roast but could only take a few bites...sigh ): now I know I'll be in for a night of painful indigestion...ughhh...

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

One of my good friends has the same thing. He states that when he eats things some times they get stuck in his chest as well as in his upper throat (below where you swallow). It can be scary making it difficult to breath at times. He says his doc states it's from a tight esophagus due to his acid reflux (AR). I realize the low acid diet is bland, but try to stick with it as well as the other rules. Time will be very beneficial.
  • Posted

If you have not spoken to your Doctor then hopefully if you go have a chat then you can get the answers you need. I also went through a time when it was difficult to eat, but forced myself to swallow food down. I made sure food was soft and easy to digest. I found that taking an anti sickness tablet worked sometimes. Also do a low fat diet. Little but often and nothing heavy, hopefully this I do may help you. But do see your GP for info.
  • Posted

Hi Dane, 

I have problems when eating trigger foods - or times when I am stressed and my hiatus hernia is sore ( had a bad weekend myself!) I find I can only eat very lean meat - and lamb is a no no! I find as soon as trigger foods hit my stomach my throat reacts within a short period of time and I can't eat is much. Maybe you are still triggering an acid attack. I eat a lot of plain food now - and avoid processed food. Eating out is a nightmare - usually 1 item on a menu I can eat! I sympathise - it's a nightmare!

• Posted

HI

I am 58 and have only suffered with acid reflux twice in my life.  After doing someresearch on the health products available I found an article about fenugreek.  I decided to buy some capsules and after taking them for about a week the reflux symptoms disappeared and had no problems since which is a good few months ago, until I came down with a very bad cold at the weekend and ended up taking lots of beechams powders over the weekend and I think this has triggered it off again as having chest pains when eating and drinking and coughing alot.  As I have run out of the capsules I have decided to use the fenugreek seeds yesterday which seems to be easing my symptoms.,  Please give the fenugreek ago, you have nothing to lose as they dont cost much on ebay or amazon.  I have re-ordered the capsules and when they arrive I intend to keep on taking them.   If you google funugreek it will tell you the health benefits.  As I said you have nothing to lose.

• Posted

thanks...never heard of them...safe and no side effects???
    • Posted

I posted this last rtime it was suggested by someone.

From WEBMD:

Fenugreek is LIKELY SAFE for people when taken by mouth in amounts normally found in foods. It is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken in amounts used for medicinal purposes (amounts larger than normally found in food) for up to 6 months. Side effects include diarrhea, stomach upset, bloating, gas, and a “maple syrup” odor in urine. Fenugreek can cause nasal congestion, coughing, wheezing, facial swelling, and severe allergic reactions in hypersensitive people. Fenugreek might lower blood sugar.

Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Fenugreek is LIKELY UNSAFE in pregnancy when used in amounts greater than those in food. It might cause early contractions. Taking fenugreek just before delivery may cause the newborn to have an unusual body odor, which could be confused with “maple syrup urine disease.” It does not appear to cause long-term effects.

Although fenugreek is used to stimulate the production of breast milk, not enough is known about the safety of fenugreek during breast-feeding. It’s best not to use fenugreek is you are breast-feeding.

Children: Fenugreek might be UNSAFE for children. Some reports have linked fenugreek tea to loss of consciousness in children. An unusual body odor resembling maple syrup may occur in children drinking fenugreek tea.

Diabetes: Fenugreek can affect blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. Watch for signs of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and monitor your blood sugar carefully if you have diabetes and use fenugreek.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.