Reflux symptoms and h pylori infection

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi! Does anyone had gerd symptoms ( lump in throat, heartburn, chest pain, stomach pain, burning) and found out had a infection caused by the bacteria h pylori? 

Can this bacteria make gerd worst or even cause it? Thanks

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I have had several bouts of h-pylori and my symptoms were exactly like yours.

You've probably been prescribed the triple therapy of two types of antibiotics for 1 week along with a PPI which you continue to take for at least 3 wks. Make sure you are re tested to see if it's gone.

I am now prone to gastritis and blame the bug for weakening my stomach wall.

Adjust your diet to eat healthy unprocessed food, don't eat spicy or fatty food and cut out coffee and sweets. This will give your stomach a chance to recover.

Also take a good quality probiotic.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Susie, thanks for your reply smile

Last year I was having abdominal pains and lots of nausea, so I had an endocospy and found out  h pylori positive. Gp gave course of antibiotics and none worked omy gastro gave me a 4 treatment that seemed to finally work. My gastritis pain eventually got much better. Two weeks ago I started having a throat sore and my esophagus was hurting a lot.  I started having stomach pain this week with some burning so got really worried about being possibly  bile reflux ( had gallbladder out few years prior). Today I found out I'm positive again! The pain is now radiating to my back and the chest hurts when I eat. Last time I had h pylori induced gastritis didn't have this reflux so that's why I post a question about it. So thank you for telling me you had those symptoms . know the gastritis can become chronic, hard to heal, but did you got over the reflux symptoms? My gp prescribed same antibiotics as last time with a PPI I'm already taking since this pain started, I don't think she knew what to give me as I had four different course of antibiotics before, so she gave same that worked last time. I'm going to be even more careful with my diet. Thanks xx

• Posted

Those symptoms can be occur while having h-pylori and after once the bacteria is eradicated. A big misconception about getting rid of h-pylori is people think their stomach problems will now go away, which isn't the case.  The root case of your stomach symptoms may be gone, but damage caused by the bacteria is still there, aka gastritis.  Depending on the severity of the damage will determine the length of recover.  The longer you had h-pylori, the worst the damage will be to your stomach lining, the longer the recovery.  The healing process can take anywhere from a couple of months to years, and even then your stomach lining will be very sensitive.  But for most people, once h-pylori is gone, the stomach lining will then start to repair itself over the course of several months (assuming you're still taking your PPI and consuming a low acid diet) and eventually the stomach becomes healthy once again, and people can start reintroducing foods they couldn't eat before back into their diet and they can move on with their lives.  

*friendly tip, if you're taking antibiotics for h-pylori, take a strong probiotic as well.  

• Posted

Hi Chucky,

last time I had gastritis pain it got better gradually and I knew it wasn't going to be better over night. It took a long year to eradicate the h pylori.

my question is why do I have it so soon after again?This time my symptoms are worse. Maybe it never went completely away, even though I had a clear stool test?! And should my husband and 3 year old daughter be tested? Thanks

• Posted

Just want to point out that I'm not a doctor and this is based on my own personal research.  Mods on here seem to be strict about that kind of stuff.

Since you had a stool test done that came back negative, that's a good indication the bacteria was eradicated.  The stool test is considered the "gold" standard along with a biopsy. However, if you were taking pepto or a PPI before the stool test, it could have given you a false negative.  That's theory #1.

Theory #2, it's possible someone close to you is infected with h-pylori that isn't symptomatic.  H-pylori can be transferred via saliva so maybe when you had it, you gave it to your husband and he gave it back to you?  Not sure.  It couldn't hurt to have your husband and daughter tested.

As for the bile reflux, that too seems unlikely.  Bile reflux is very rare and would happen soon after gallbladder surgery.  Doesn't seem likely it would occur years after surgery.  You can easily rule out bile by taking an acid reducer or antacid when symptoms occur.  If symptoms improve, then it isn't bile since bile doesn't react to acid reducers or antacids.  If symptoms don't improve or get worse, then it's possible it's bile. 

• Posted

My symptoms have always improved after treatment. However this time the symptoms gradually came back but I tested negative for h pylori.

At this point I had an endoscopy which showed erosive gastritis and a small polyp. After 3 months treatment with 40mg PPI, a repeat endoscopy showed the gastritis and polyp were almost cleared up.

I have reduced the PPI to 20mg and take a probiotic and my symptoms are improved but certainly not gone.

This ties in with what Chucky is saying, I believe I will always be prone to h pylori and gastritis. 

My problem is how long should I keep taking the PPI's and what harm could they do long term?

• Posted

I wouldn't worry too much about taking a PPI long-term.  All you really need to do is take a magnesium and calcium supplement since a PPI will drain that from your body.   People take a PPI for years and years with no problem.  You should be fine, but as always consult your doctor first. 

• Posted

Forgot to ask, when you were healing your erosive gastritis, did you still have off days while healing?  I just started working to heal my erosive gastritis. Currently taking 40mg of protonix in the morning and 200mg of tagamet in the evening along with a bland diet. 
  • Posted

To be honest Chucky I thought nothing had changed when I had my repeat endoscopy and was really surprised to hear it had improved.

I asked the gastrologist if the PPIs could be causing symptoms and she said they occasionally can and suggested reducing/changing them.

I have reduced them to 20mg and take a probiotic with a small yoghurt drink. My GP thinks changing them wouldn't make a difference. I am to continue like this until November then GP will review.

That was about 2 months ago and I do feel much better but by no means cured. I still have bouts of symptoms and don't dare eat fatty foods.

think I'm stuck with this and will just have to be careful!

• Posted

I doubt you're stuck with those symptoms forever.  The fact that you're improving is a sign that your stomach lining is healing and improving too, but it just takes a while.  Heard from one guy it took about two years for him to feel 100% and be able to eat what he wants.  In my opinion, I would say by the end of the year you should be close to 100%.  It's only been a week for me, but my stomach seems to be improving everyday.  Hope to start adding meat back into my diet soon.  Still a long road ahead of me.  I've already accepted the fact that 2017 has been a bust, but there's always 2018 cheesygrin

• Posted

Funny how you mentioned about a PPI could be causing symptoms because I recently read online that the best PPI's for gastritis are enteric-coated capsules/pills as they won't irritate the gastric mucosa.  I'm currently taking protonix.  I've taken two different kinds of protonix, one was yellow coated and one was white.  I'm taking the white one now that isn't enteric-coated.  After reading that report, I'm strongly considering going back to the dexilant.  

• Posted

Hi Chucky that's really interesting.  However I'm taking omeprazole & this is the discription I found when I looked online:

PPIs are inactivated by exposure to gastric juice and are delivered in delayed-release gelatin capsules containing enteric-coated granules (omeprazole and lansoprazole) or in delayed-release enteric-coated tablets (rabeprazole and pantoprazole).

So I think I'm already taking a coated one. Got me thinking though, could the capsule be irritating my stomach (I find capsule enclosed painkillers irritating). May ask to try tablet form when I'm reviewed.

• Posted

I think the white protonix is coated, but it doesn't seem to be done as well as the yellow protonix.  The yellow protonix took some effort to break in half while the white protonix broke with ease.  I decided to try to yellow one today and so far so good.  May just stick with this one.

Out of curiosity, how was your diet during those three months on a PPI? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.