Reflux symptoms appeared out of nowhere??

Posted , 4 users are following.

To give a background on my medical history, I've been having abdominal issues for the past 2 years, and I had my gallbladder removed in May of this year due to it basically not working anymore. Now, my pain is gone, but I'm now struggling with constant constipation or diarrhea, as well as very severe bloating and indigestion. I had a visit with my GI a couple weeks ago telling him my symptoms, and I had to do a stool test and get my blood drawn(results are not back yet). Now currently, after this visit, I started experiencing severe reflux-like symptoms. For the past 4 days, I have been extra extra bloated, now all the time, no matter what I eat or when, feeling like I've eaten a full course meal when I haven't ate all day. I am also having extreme heartburn and NONSTOP burping. Every time I do eat it feels like I'm swallowing ice cubes, and its at the very top of my throat and I can feel it slide down where it sits in my chest. And the burping is incredibly painful and just downright embarrassing because it's not like I can just hold it in. I don't know what's going on because I haven't had reflux-like symptoms like these in many, many months. And for the record, I am taking Concerta 36mg for my ADHD, and about a week ago I had my dose bumped up from 18 mg to 36 mg, but I'm not sure if there is a correlation or these new stomach issues are the result of an already existing thing. I'm kind of freaking out because my stomach issues were already bad but now they are almost unbearable and I would appreciate some advice...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Gallbladder removal can upset the gut and cause conditions like IBS. Your medication may also be causing you side effects. Wait for your test results to get clear answers and look up your patient leaflet for your medication to see if it lists any of the symptoms you are having Uping the dose of the drug you are taking, may well have disturbed your gut. You will know if you are having side effects if these problems started after you were put on a higher dose.

• Posted

If it continues to get worse I would talk to your doctor about going on a ppi like prevacid or nexium. Might be worth getting an endoscopy done as well to see if anything else in your digestive tract could be causing it. Hope it gets better!

• Posted

For immediate relief suggest you take nexium or omeprazole every morning before meal. For long term try Nuvapine supplement. This may help your reflux problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.