Reflux/thyroid/something else??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I've been unwell for the last 10 weeks now and no nearer to getting sorted.

It started with a sore back, I went to the doctor who said it was a postural thjng and gave me some painkilers and muscle relaxants for a few days (Celebrex and Mydocalm). At the same time I had a UTI so a 5 day course of Augmentin.

As I was taking them I developed a pain in my throat which spread to a horrid jaw pain. I was checked over and they put it down to reflux from the medications.

Since then i have tried 3 PPIs from my gastro doctor, had bloods (all normal), a normal barium swallow.

They found a nodule on my thyroid which a biopsy showed was inflamed so had a steroid injection. All my thyroid levels are normal.

I can barely eat, even small amounts of the blandest food give me intense pain in my neck and jaw, I have a constant feeling of something uncomfortable in my throat. I've lost 10kg

Unless i drink gallons of water I feel like I have a UTI again - numerous test and cultures all clear.

I feel like the doctors think I'm making it up or anxious but I really feel awful! Lethargic and just generally under the weather. I am starting to feel depressed as to how this will ever be resolved.

Any advice or ideas would be hugely appreciated

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

have you had a CT scan and Endoscopy?

• Posted

Not yet - I have an appointment tomorrow with my endocrinologist so will ask.

Its been a bad few days and all feels helpless!

• Posted

Most people here will understand how you feel.......

Are you under a lot of stress? I guess dumb question.... but stress can wreak havoc on the body creating all kinds of symptoms....

Do you have reflux / acid issues?

• Posted

Yeah I am pretty stressed but that's kind of come on after all my symptoms started! In the past if I've been stressed it never displays like this.

I've never suffered with reflux before - it was diagnosed right at the beginning as I had the lump in throat feeling/trapped air type thing and had had some strong medications which can affect stomach.

• Posted

So I a CT scan of my neck and that was all normal, waiting to hear about endoscopy.

My last lot of bloods did show elevated antibodies in my thyroid so they are now pretty sure some kind of autoimmune thyroiditis is happening.

Bloods are being repeated in a couple of weeks.......

• Posted

i had my endoscopy yesterday which showed stomach polyps which the doctor thinks are from the PPIs so I've been changed to Famodar.

It showed chronic GERD and grade B esophagitis - feeling really down as the last 8 weeks I've eaten such a bland diet, cut out caffeine and alcohol so now sure why its so bad and what else i can do about it...........

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.