refraction 20/800 after cataract surgery

Posted , 9 users are following.

My optometrist mentioned that my vision post cataract surgery was 20/800. I was surprised since my refraction is -1.50D spherical equivalent. I have fallen since then and wonder if there could be a connection. It's been a long time (decades) since I've been told this type of refractive result but the highest I remember is 20/400 and it improved after that.

Does this make sense?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Edited

-1.5D of myopia should correspond to about 20/200 eyesight without glasses.

I'm not sure I understand the rest of your question.

• Edited

Thanks Lynda. I heard 20/800 but if he said 20/80, would that make sense with a refraction of 1.75D (-1.5D spherical equivalent)?

Now that I think about it, a technician told me this eye was 20/100 at one week, so 20/80 at 6-8 weeks probably makes sense. Thanks again.

• Posted

you should get some -1.5 myopia glasses. that will sharpen things up for you.

• Posted

Thanks soks. I'm waiting for my refraction on my second eye which targeted -1.0D

Not until the end of January ...

• Posted

Correctable to only worse than 20/200 is legally blind. Do you feel blind? Do you use text to speech to read this forum?

There has to be some medical investigation beyond what an optometrist can do.

• Edited

Thanks trilemma. I heard 20/800 but 20/80 makes more sense.

• Edited

I think you must have slipped a digit. A -1.5 D refraction would be about 20/80, not 20/800. The chart does not even go to 20/800.

• Edited

Thanks Ron. I could swear he said 20/800 but as you say that makes no sense and must have been 20/80. This reminds me of the axis notation which involved another digit as well ... Not sure if you remember that conversation ...

• Posted

I maxed out the chart recently - I could barely make out the giant letter on the top row.

They told me I was 20/500.

• Posted

The giant E at the top of the eye chart is 20/200 which… if you cannot read means you're legally blind. 20/800 would be profound vision loss. You probably wouldn't even see shapes. So ya it must have been 20/80.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.