Refraction after catarat surgery in eye targeting intermediate

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had my first eye surgery with target for intermediate (-1.5D or possibly -1.75D). When I have that eye checked, will it optimally be 20/20 or something else? The other eye has not been operated on yet so I'm just interested in knowing what to expect or hope for with the operated eye. My one week postop appt is tomorrow so would like to be prepared for talking with surgeon. Thank you!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Edited

If you hit the target of -1.5 D then you will be mildly near sighted so you can see well enough to read without eyeglasses in that eye. You will not likely have 20/20 vision at distance. You are more likely to be 20/30 or 20/40.

If you are talking to the surgeon, you should ask to see and get a printout of the IOL Calculation sheet. That will document what the actual target was for this eye and what the predicted outcome was expected to be. One week is too early however to get an accurate refraction as to what was actually achieved. They will be mainly check to see how well the eye is healing, whether there is any sign of infection, and if the lens is placed properly. With a toric lens, they should also check to see if there has been any rotation out of position.

• Posted

Can you recommend a good conversion table for diopters to Snellen measurement?

I understand that there is no perfect conversion and individual results vary. But the numbers I've found so far on the internet are all over the map. I'd be very interested in any reasonable, semi-scientific population averages.

I'm seeing estimates of about 20/60 to 20/100 for -1.5 D. Some of these are from optometrists' websites and some reference not-very-current research (though I suppose it's the sort of thing that does not change much over time).

• Edited

Yes, there are different estimates. To some degree even standard monofocals differ, and then there are enhanced monofocals, and EDOF lenses which all will have a slightly different defocus curve. The problem still is that individual results do vary a lot. I use a generic curve that I have some reasonable faith in. Looking at it, makes me realize I had a bit of a brain fart when I quoted 20/30 or 20/40 in the post above, and it is now too old to edit. You are correct that it will be more like 20/100 for distance vision when you are at -1.5 D. I was thinking about close reading vision at 1 foot or so, the opposite end of the defocus curve. Click on Figure 1 at this location. A -1.0 would put you at about 20/40, which would be very marginal for legal driving vision.

Semantic Scholar Optimal amount of anisometropia for pseudophakic monovision. Ken Hayashi, Motoaki Yoshida, +1 author H. Hayashi Published 1 May 2011 Medicine Journal of refractive surgery

Sorry for the confusion...

• Posted

Thanks Ron, Just to confirm I understand, would you say if I hit the target of -1.5D in my intermediate eye, then I would be moderately near sighted but still see well enough to read without eyeglasses? I would likely have 20/100 vision at a distance?

• Edited

Yes, that is correct. I am typing and reading these posts with no glasses and a -1.60 D eye. I tried closing my distance eye and checking to see what distance vision was like with only the -1.60 D eye when going on a walk in the neighbourhood today. 20/100 sounds terrible but I could easily read most house numbers provided they were at least 4" tall. So, it is not like you are blind, which is kind of like I was when I used to need -4.0 D correction lenses.

• Posted

I had a brief refraction today and was told the vision in my operated eye is 20/100. It was much better when the technician used the piece of plastic with tiny holes (if you know what I mean!) The vision in my unoperated eye was 20/125.

When outside, unexpectedly, I have the impression of distance vision. This is not the case when inside however.

• Edited

Unfortunately the 20/100 number is expected but not that helpful in determining where you ended up. The measurement you really need to know is the diopter refraction. But, at one week it is unlikely to be very accurate, in any case.

• Posted

Is the diopter refraction the number I would see under sphere in my eye glasses prescription?

• Edited

Yes, likely. There are normally three numbers listed and usually in this order:

Sphere, Cylinder, Axis

Sphere and Cylinder are in diopters, while Axis is in degrees...

• Posted

Wow, I'm constantly getting confused... Now I understand. I declined a refraction yesterday because I'd like to have that done in 4-6 weeks.

• Edited

If they did that test where you look through an instrument and see a hot air balloon or house out in the distance, they will have done an autorefraction. It is not as accurate as a snellen test with a phoroptor, but should give you some indication of where you are at. If they did that test you may be able to give the clinic a call to see if they will give you the results.

• Edited

It could even be 20/15 corrected, but corrected to 20/20 is more likely. Depends on stuff.

Uncorrected, it will not be 20/20.

• Posted

Just saw your reply! Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.