Refusal by gp to fill in medical form for bereaved person

Posted , 6 users are following.

My mums brother died recently which meant we had to cancel our holiday.my travel insurance is asking for a medical form to be filled in which asks questions about pre existing conditions etc and specifically says only his gp can fill this in.not the hospital or any other association.my uncles practise manager has refused to help and specifically said the dr will not fill in this form on confidentially rules.my travel insurance have refused to proceed with my claim without this form.i am stuck.have tried the health watch...citizens advice..ombudsman too.

.no one can help...surely i should be able to get my money back somehow..are there any doctors out there that can maybe shed some light or help me?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Have you been back to the insurance company & told them what the Practice Manager has said?  [I have no idea but what she said doesn't quite ring true & I thought that GPs would fill in forms but charge to do it]

• Posted

Hi mrsmop....yes i have told them and they say they cant proceed with my claim without the form...its ridiculous..i have offered to pay for the service too.
  • Posted

I'm not a doctor, but I'm a nurse. Who is the person in charge of making medical decisions for your uncle? Where I live and work that person would be called a Health Care Proxy or Power of Attorney. The person in charge of making health care decisions for your uncle is the only person who can request that your travel insurance form be filled out. And, confidentiality only applies to your uncle, and the person who is in charge of making health care decisions for your uncle. In the event that your uncle never named anyone as his Health Care Proxy or Power of Attorney, whoever your uncle listed as his next of kin (or the person to call in the event of an emergency), would be the person in charge of making health care decisions for your uncle. As long as the person in charge of making health care decisions for your uncle gives their permission for your travel form to be filled out, then your uncle's general practitioner is obligated to fill out the form. So, the first thing you need to do is get permission from the person in charge of making health care decisions for your uncle. That person has to give permission to your uncle's gp office to fill out your travel form. As long as they do this for you, your uncle's gp office cannot refuse to fill out your form.  However, I can tell you, if the person in charge of making medical decisions for your uncle refuses to give your uncle's gp office permission to fill out your travel form...then you are essentially out of luck and probably out of options. Unless, there is an option to take it through the court's legal system. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Jeanie...the person who is in charge of such decisions is his wife and son. both have had a difficult time with the gp in getting them to fill in this form.they have been in person to the practice about 5 times and each time its been refused.i just dont understand what to do.
    • Posted

Hello again. I'm not sure how much you will get back from your holiday insurance, but the question is: Is it worth it for you to contact a lawyer? There are many attorney's offices who provide free phone consultations, and you might be able to get enough information to solve your problem in this way. Also, sometimes all it takes is a simple letter from an attorney's office to get them to do what you want. But, having an attorney's office send a letter, may cost 2 or 3 hundred dollars. So, I guess it depends on how much you stand to get back from the insurance. If you will get a few thousand back, then it is definitely worth it. But, if you will only get a few hundred back, then of course it may not be worth it. The doctor's office really has no reason or right to refuse to fill out that form, if your uncle's wife is the one requesting them to fill out the form. That is just ridiculous! If I were you, I would first try the free phone consultation with an attorney. Then, I would write a letter to your uncle's doctor, explaining that you have been in contact with a law firm regarding this situation, and that with your uncle's wife's permission (and her signature), you will be pursuing this matter further. The doctor's office may decide to change their mind, and fill out the form at this point. But, if they don't, then the next step is to pay an attorney to send the doctor's office a letter. Of course, as I stated, it will depend on how much it is worth to you. When a person dies, their doctor cannot refuse to provide medical information to their next of kin who was and still is, authorized to make medical decisions for them. Let me know what you decide, and how you make out. Again, good luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you Jeanie. Will let you you know how i get on.
  • Posted

Hi Rav1,

I was in a similar situation in 2008 when my dad passed away, and had paid in full for a holiday. I approached the travel agent direct, they offered me a partial payment.

The amount they offered me was ridiculous, and I would have to prove to them with photo ID whom I was, even though I had the holiday booking ticket which stated 'paid in full'.

Considering I am disabled and where the travel agent was based, I found it was not worth pursuing for the amount of just 10% - hence I never collected it.

I hope you have a better time than myself, it is a joke with travel agents and insurances.

Regards...

SteV3

• Posted

Thanks Steve...am trying my best to see how far i can get..these insurance documents are not worth anything when it comes to claiming..so frustrated
  • Posted

Hi rav1 - outrageous these greedy people do this to anyone let alone a bereaved person. No soul.  I wonder if you would be prepared to out theses companies - go public - I'm sure you would be speaking for many others and also those who will be faced with this scam in the future. Name and shame, warn the community that all is not as it seems. Get angry, get a pro bono lawyer and issue a lawsuit for costs, entitlements and compensation. You will change things. Good luck whatever you decide - and condolences on the family loss.

• Posted

Hi rav1  Just checking in with you to see if you've taken this matter any further or found any other help with your situation?  I get so annoyed with medical offices who play what they believe is their trump card "CONFIDENTIALITY" to avoid doing things that they don't feel like doing. They may think they are just being careful, when actually they are making the bereaved family's life more difficult, without cause.

• Posted

Hi. Haven't got anywhere.. brick walls everywhere. Never getting travel insurance again.

• Posted

Hi rav1  Thanks for letting me know. But, I'm sorry that you've made no progress. I don't know all the terms & conditions of the travel insurance, so I suppose the fault could be theirs, at least in part.  However, the fact that your uncle's gp will not help you, even with the permission & signature of your aunt, bothers me more. Because of the gp's refusal, I am more inclined to blame him for the situation that you are in. Again, I am sorry that you have gotten no further, in your quest to have this situation resolved. I think it's terrible that you have to lose your vacation money over a simple signature.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.