Refused manipulation, what you have done?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 11 wks plus 3 days post op. I was concerned because I couldn't get the bend much past 92-95. I saw my surgeon today. His response was he thinks I'm doing fine. He asked if I was able to do the things I want to do? Then he said, I could put you under anesthesic and force it, but I don't like doing it because there's a risk of fracturing the femur or tearing the ligaments. And stating the bend before, I wiont get much more than 110. So for all of that and my age, 63, I figure I won't be needing to be on my knees scrubbing floors so I decided to take the cards I'm dealt. I go back to work on Monday. And I'm on the list for the next TKR anytime from 6 months to a year. 

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I meant to say What would you have done? 
    • Posted

Hi Anne. I think you did the right thing as at 90 odd degrees the risks of having forced manipulation outweigh the benefits in my opinion. I am 11 weeks post op and went back to work at 6 weeks. Last time it was measured my bend was 113 degrees. As long as you can walk, sit and do most day to day things OK, i would be happy with that. Why risk breaking your femur and having to have pins and plates holding your bones together, and an even longer painful recovery for an extra 20 degrees that you may not even need?

Just my opinion but a sensible one I think?

Regards, Timo

• Posted

keep excercising, you might be surprised how much more you will get. I was 67 when I had my original tkr and was told @ 115 I could do anything I wanted except kneel. I eventually hit 118. My big problem, I had 30 rounds of radiation that made my soft tissue like leather. Keep pushing but don't go so hard you are in pain. As usual, ice and elevate
  • Posted

Hi Anne. I had my right knee done just over 6 months ago. I struggled from day 1 getting a good bend. Everyone seemed to be getting into the 100+ but I was stuck at 95 for 12 weeks!!!! I have not had it measured since then but I'm sure it's more than that now. I can do most of what I want but still have a bit pain and it seems like I can feel the metal a bit at times.  Still I have no intention of putting myself through any more pain and am happy that I can walk etc without pain.  Good luck with whatever you decide xxx
  • Posted

Hi Anne I think a Lo of people seem to be a bit obsessive about numbers.   I agree, if you can what you need to do, then don't worry whether its 95 or 130.   I haven't got great bend in my leg yet, at 12 weeks but I hope by six months I will be able to do all I need to.  I know I wont be scrubbing floors, but hey I have a steam cleaner and, what are husbands for! Lol xx
  • Posted

Sounds like a wise decision!  I'm around 90 bend at six weeks, and seeing the surgeon tomorrow. . if he recommends manipulation I;m going to say no . . .I'll get there in the end, I hope, and like you, certainly no more floor scrubbing for me!
  • Posted

Hi Anne, like you my bend wasn't brilliant when I saw the consultant. Although I could straighten it, go up and down stairs and cycle. He said I could have manual manipulation for the bend but he didn't like doing it or recommend it, as It can cause as many problems as it solves including getting an infection. So we left it as is. I honestly don't know what the bend is although I did manage to kneel briefly whilst searching for a mouse that my cat brought in. It wasn't comfortable and won't rush to do again but as someone else said you don't get on your knees to scrub the floors these days and I have had to lay on my side for years to paint the skirting board because kneeling was painful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.