Refusing third scan?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I (F19) was wondering if anyone could help me out here because I’m honestly losing my mind here. I found out at the beginning of this month I’d have a gyno appointment on the 29th April (yay waiting times) to discuss surgery. I’d doesn’t say anything on the letter about scans but I’ve already had two invasive ultrasounds and mentally don’t think I can do a third (the last one was really traumatic and made me vomit afterwards) What I’m really worried about is if I refuse another scan the doctors will refuse to see me even though they have 2 sets of clear images of a large cyst. Can they do this? Do I have the right to refuse?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I believe you do have the right to refuse especially If the scans you did are recent

• Posted

You have the right to refuse any treatment however I guess they will want the latest picture before your surgery so they know what they are dealing with, if the cyst has grown etc.

Why was your scan so traumatic? Ive had many scans myself and out of double figures there was 1 or 2 that were painful instead of just uncomfortable, 1 i remember being awfully painful and like you I was wary of having another one but I got a different hospital and tech and it was not painful at all. Being painful to the point of you throwing up should not really be happening. Scans are not meant to be painful.

Is there a way you can contact the hospital and request a different technician or at least call and speak to your consultant and explain how the last scan affected you and that you really dont want another one, they may be able to advice that another scan is not completely necessary or sort out a really gentle and experienced tech to do a scan for you. Maybe depending on the last size of the cyst they might be able to a non internal scan but thats just a wild guess.

I was waiting for a surgery date for a year for a cyst and endo removal and I dont want the op so was hoping I had got lost in system, when they called recently with a date I freaked out, I called the surgeons secretary and explained I was too terrified and couldnt take the surgery date, she kindly just made me another appointment to have a chat with the surgeon again so they can be kind and accommodating if you call them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.