Refusing to drink

Posted , 2 users are following.

First of all, let me tell you that english is not  my native languague, so excuse me for any errors you may find

My problem is with my 89 years old Mom. she has dementia, as far as I know in the latest stage, does not speak, not able to eat solid food, and no mobility at all.

Hydration has always been a problem, as she most of the time refuses to drink, so we usualy have to give her gelatine, and shakes with a some grams of protein.

She sleeps very well at night, some 12 hours, but after all that time without beeing hydrated, she lately refuses  the tea at breakfast, and it is absolutely pointless to try to force her to drink , because she ends up spiting it all out, and becomes very agitated.

Since she also sleeps part of the day, there are left very few hours to try to hydrate her, so my questions is :

Is it posible to hydrate her during the night by the subcutaneous route. I heard this would be the first option for an elederly who is not in a Hospital,  and could be  administered at home by family members .

I appreciate your coments on this, and are these Hypodermoclysis kits available on the internet ?  I guess it is not something I can buy at the local pharmacy

Thanks a lot

Carlos

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Yes I've heard about that also but haven't tried that yet. I guess it would be the only option since she refuses to drink and is not able to move.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.