Regain weight for diabetics patient?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been suffering diabetic for last 8 years.but from last 3 month..my blood sugar is normal.with out medicines.but I cant recover my weight. Can any body help me..how i regain my balance weight?..thanks..

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Pradeep, I keep waiting for someone to answer this and no one has. I care for my mother who is diabetes II, controlled with diet. From everything I've read, diabetes can have a suppressive effect in the appetite, and this has been the case with my mother at various points. Though when first diagnosed, she was quite overweight. With proper diet, she lost weight quickly. 

I've kept her on a modified paleo style diet, which is very minimal grains, absolutely no gluten, some dairy to include yogurt and hard cheeses. Lots of non starchy slow cooked to fork tender root vegetables, greens and lean organic meats. For fiber, I add a little ground flaxseed meal to low fat plain yogurt with a little fruit. This was easier than counting carbs. I also initially cut her fruit back to two small servings a day. Bread was no more than one glutenfree small piece of bread twice a day. 

For my mother, this was enough to lose weight, as she has other health problems and was having a difficult time eating following a stroke caused by the diabetic ketoacidosis, as well as other complications. So the goal for her wasn't weightloss, rather health. She initially lost about ten pounds or a stone  a month.

I

A favorite recipe is banana pancakes, which you can make by blending two eggs and a half banana, cook with a little oil if necessary. The batter is a little watery, so it takes some doing to get the hang of cooking. I leave a clear glass lid on to help them cook evenly before flipping. The eggs give you great protein and the banana makes it quite sweet. You could try modifying this to two egg whites plus one egg and half a banana, or add a little ground cinnamon. 

Hope thats helpful.

• Posted

Hi Pradeep.

Are you type 1 or 2? Do you want to gain or lose?

I'm type 1 and lost so much weight but now a healthy normal size.

I Eat a lot of protein so as not to

Interfere with my insulin regime

too much and wanted to put on

Lean tissue and not just fat.

You can stock up on carb but that will take insulin adjustment and

ultimately excess carbs are stored as fat where's as proteins go into building body tissue.

I make protein the largest portion of my meal, followed by vegetables or salad and carbs the smallest.

Chicken, tuna, steak, nuts, cheese, are good and satisfying as I have

A big appetite.

Hope this is helpfull.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.