Regarding Inferior Turbinate Regeneration

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

My name is Neel. I was diagnosed with swollen inferior turbinates in 2018 for which I was given certain nasal sprays which did not help. As a result, I was told to consider septoplasty and laser reduction of turbinates to reduce the swelling.

After looking at possible complications such as ENS, I decided to find alternatives online and came across one which suggested to use spices and herbs and smelling it when necessary. In simple words, combining some spices, putting them in a handkerchief and smelling it.

I used the technique over a course of two months and during the timeframe, at certain times I did feel burning inside my turbinates as well as sneezes. What happened next was something I do not know how I went through.

In March 2019, when I went to sleep my left nostril was not opening even though I was sleeping on my right-hand shoulder side ( I am assuming here you know about this blood circulation technique to open the nostrils). The next morning when I woke up I realised that I was breathing too much especially from my left nostril. As I had some knowledge about ENS, I researched online and realised that I was feeling some of the symptoms.

I then went to see a GP who told me that the mucus must have got released due to smelling those spices which irritated my left turbinate. I then went to see an ENT doctor who assured me that there is nothing wrong with my nose through his endoscopy inside the nose. He also asked me for a CT scan which from his perspective looked normal. I then went to see an another ENT after some time and he said it could be atrophic rhinitis as he saw that my left inferior turbinate had turned a bit white. He suggested me to wait and focus on preventing nasal dryness.

It has been now more than a year and even though I am recovering slowly, my life has been very difficult mainly due to memory issues and fatigue.

I would like to ask if anyone knows a way to re-generate the turbinate tissue/mucus. Some of the techniques I have tried are: castorl oil, manuka honey, nasal sprays which removes dryness, ghee (india version of butter). None of them seemed to have helped. From some online research I have found that using estrogen or erectile dysfunction cream is beneficial in turbinate tissue regeneration, however, ENT and GP doctors do not prescribe them for this kind of situation.

As of now, to keep my nose healthy, I have been focusing on proper hydration, nose protection from cold and dry weather, healthy diet, sleep, humidity.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Neel.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Neel,

I have a compassion for your struggles, as I too, have a degree of my own in relation to not having been given any relief for my nasal condition. As I checked my email and read your story tonight...I had to look up ENS, since I never heard of it. I gather you are from the U.K. region...GP was the reason I thought that. Here in the USA, we call our family physicians, PCP, (primary care physician,)

I am thankful for becoming aware of what ENS is about after watching two YouTube videos.

• Edited

Sorry,I don't have any answers for you..hopefully, this way of reading each others diagnosis/treatment/sagas, will bring answers or other avenues to research in the right direction.

It may take time to find them. Keep your faith in Christ, knowing our Eternal home will be with Him, as He never leaves us or forsakes us! Be strong and trust we will find guidance

• Posted

Hi Sandi,

Thank you for your replies. Yes, I think believing in god and praying to him is one of the best things I can do.

Neel.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. What symptoms are you struggling with most?

• Posted

What spices and herbs did you use, what is this method?

If i understand correctly, You believe smelling those spices shrank your turbinates enough that you started experiencing symptoms of ENS?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.