Regarding test strips for bladder infections

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi again I bought some test strips of amazon and they tell you if you have leukocytes, nitrate and ph.  The problem I have is how do I know which one tells me I have a bladder infection.  I don't like going to the dr every time I think I do and thought this would help.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pam. The darker the colour the more likely there is an infection. Fly out looking for blood or protein in your urine. Those two colours will go a darker green I think. It's difficult without knowing what your urine stick looks like.

• Posted

Hi Pam.  You should be able to compare your urine soaked strip with the one printed on the tub or box of strips - it should say what each one is.  The ones you’re interested in primarily are leukocytes, nitrates and blood. If all 3 are present that would indicate an infection.  However, if just the leucocytes are present on their own, this indicates inflammation rather than infection.  My doctor told me all this when she was doing a test for me.  Hope that helps.  And yes, the darker the colour, the higher the amount of whatever it is!
    • Posted

Thanks for your help, I just checked and it came out positive for leukocytes and no nitrate.  I did notice a couple of very noticable blobs of blood and slime in the cup, I don't know what that means?   The good news is my ph is an 8 much better than the five I had before I started the IC diet.

• Posted

Hi Pam,

It sounds to me like inflammation which can also cause bleeding but as you’ve seen frank (visible) blood clots, I would recommend that you see a doctor and take a sample with you.  They can do a more detailed analysis just to be sure there’s no infection.  The ‘slime’ is probably just discarded white blood cells - but as I say, see the doctor on this occasion at least.

• Posted

Hi Pam I found a really good YouTube video. Type in how to use a urine dipstick. It's the the one for 7 minutes and 41 seconds. It's really useful. Your looking out for blood or protein in your urine.

• Posted

Thanks Sandy just watched the video, I guess its a good idea I go to the doctor and tell him about seeing blood in my urine. 
  • Posted

Hi Pam!

It's important to know that not all UTI-causing bacteria produce enzymes that convert nitrates into nitrites so it's possible to have an infection even if the dipstick is negative for nitrites. Also, if your diet doesn't contain nitrates then the nitrite result will be negative no matter what. I've had recurrent UTIs these past four months and the nitrites have been negative but the cultures have been positive. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.