Reguar shoes after ORIF

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey. I'm almost 3 months post op. Still in my CAM boot and a walker. At what point did you wear a regular shoe? It's hot today,I'm wearing a sundress. I want to wear my flat sandal on my good foot,but it's very low compared to the cam. When did you begin wearing non athletic shoes?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello Cryssy,

Transition to regular shoes varies with an individual patient's progress. In a 'typical' timeline, an ankle patient would progress from non-weight bearing at around 6 weeks post-injury (or post-op) to partial weight-bearing (in boot) for 1-2 weeks, then to full weight bearing (still in boot) for another 1-2 weeks. Then you are usually allowed to wear regular shoes.

Of course the above is average results-- timelines can vary widely due to individual circumstances and doctor preferences.

You should be wearing an 'even-up' appliance on your good foot shoe as you walk around in moon boot. If you don't do this the difference in height between boot foot and shoe foot could cause back, knee, and hip pains because it throws symmetrical balance of two sides of body off kilter.

Best wishes.

• Posted

I’m a just at 6 weeks post op and am in a boot and told to start gradual weight bearing (25% right now) with the walker or crutches.  I was told by both PT and my DR that in approx 4-6 weeks I should be in a regular shoe and walking on my own but will want me to wear a  small lace up ankle brace for about a month after to maintain stability.  But.....they told me that this is the expected time frame and not everyone will follow this depending on the injury and recovery. I will have to ask about the even up shoe and see if that will be helpful when I start putting more weight on it   
  • Posted

I totally empathise. I wore flat shoes on good foot today and my back/hip is now hurting. I am 2 months post ankle fusion and bone graft. Will watch for answers on your post. I suspect as long as we have the boot on we will have this issue. No idea what shoes I will be able to wear longterm though.
  • Posted

The doctor will tell you that your bones are healed. Then you can wear tennis shoes. Hope this helped.
    • Posted

I figured that, I just wore a tennis shoe on the good foot. My last xray he wasnt exactly happy about the bone growth.....
    • Posted

What do you mean he wasn’t happy with bone growth?

I knew going into this that it wasn’t going to be a picnic but after 5 months of therapy and healing You should be walking around in shoes and feeling fairly normal.  That’s why you had it done.....so you could walk again.   I am freaking exhausted !!!!!!!!!

• Posted

A month still having problem bearing weight,and still have pain. Bimolllear fracture 1-22-18. Hope you heal faster.
    • Posted

You would think so I have nerve damage and pain still. I'm not a happy camper.

• Posted

He was expecting more soft callous. He wasn't discouraged because I was NWB for a that while. Then when I began wb,it was scary and difficult. I feel I'm wb better,the more comfortable I got back being on my feet,hradually adfing weight to the SB bad ankle, But he hasn't taken me out the cam boot yet. I do pt 2x a week with my daily exercises, and use my walker more,he cleared me from the wheelchair about 3 weeks ago. My next xray is the 13th,I'm expecting a jump of progress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.