Regular

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had mY TKR 4 months ago under spinal anesthetic and its been fine. Mobility is almost back to normal, hardly any pain, very little swelling, but going to the loo is a fight. I expected to be consipated after the op and they gave me some stuff to take. I eat a good diet, high in fiber, low in sugar, plenty of veg of all sorts and colours, and very little fat, but I am still having problems. I walk 2 miles at least most days with the dogs and I am back teaching dance to adults and children. So I am eating and exercising. Has anyone else suffered in the same way

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Are you still taking pain medication?  That is usually the problem. I had to stop them after one week for that reason. 
  • Posted

Anything with hydrocodone will give most people constipation...Vicodin, Norco and others.  This is because the drug is based on a codeine molecule.  There is little to no constipation with OXYcodone (Percocet); same pain killing effects. Switch if you can.  If you're NOT on opioids, what else could be causing the prob-loo???  PS: Ducolax also helps.

• Posted

Not taken any hydrocodine or anything similar since the night of the op. I have been using senacot when absoluely nessesary. Going to try two or three days on fruit and yoghurt.
  • Posted

Yes, I had similar issues. My sister takes coconut oil for current similar probs. I ate prunes, dates, almonds and took prunelax tabs. I ended up reducing my medication as much as I could. Water is important too. Drink lots of it. And oats. Good luck!
    • Posted

I have heard the hyp on coconut oil, but as the jurys still out i'll stick to cod liver oil. I eat dried fruit, fresh fruit and oats everymorning for breakfast and have upped my water as my kidneys failed after the op.

• Posted

The spinal affected me badly Lynne along with the codeine.  I use orange fybogel at the first sign of trouble - don't know if you've tried it but it's gentle on the stomach and works well. 

• Posted

I don't like fibrojel at all its too sweet to the taste for me. The hospital gave me some but it didn't help at all. 

• Posted

Hi Lynne, yes I had the same for a while. As Jane says Fybogel orange is excellent. I take it regularly as I also have mild diverticula disease. My GP gives it me on prescription, but still had to resort to Sennacot on more than one occasion!

I hope you return to normal soon! (Forgive the pun)

All the best

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.