Regular shoes

Posted , 6 users are following.

How long until you can wear shoes other than tennis shoes after surgery for trimallelor fracture ? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am 8 weeks post op. Been FWB for a week now. Still in sneakers when walking. Too hard to walk in anything else. Hoping to be able to wear nicer stuff to work soon lol
  • Posted

I am four months but had no surgery just spiral fracture of fibula and I am still in sneakers and cannot get into normal shoes.  I did also buy some orthopaedic boots which are marvelous but getting too hot here for them!  See how you feel when you try your shoes on.
  • Posted

I have been wearing sandals and flip flops without much trouble for a couple weeks. I do walk often so I think that helps. When I go for a walk specifically, I wear tennis shoes. If I'm just out and about I'll wear whatever. No heels. I'm not ready for that mentally. 

• Posted

(I should say that I'm at my 10 week check up today)

• Posted

Hi Christina, Im not at the 5mth mark an still not able to walk or even get into a normal pair of shoes. Im in flipflops around the house open sandals that tie up around the ankle if i want to feel a bit lady like...lol  or flat dappers most occasions when out.  Just dont feel nice any more and live in trousers or jeans as i dont like the look of this horrid fat swollen painful ankle ...........cant see any change for a while yet if ever?  sx
    • Posted

I am in constant pain after 4 months, in trainers and still cannot get into normal shoes!  So sad!!! my heel days seem to be over, but glad I can walk allbeit with a limp!!!!!

• Posted

sad isnt it. Who would think we have o go through all this with  a broken ankle....people have told me that it can be one of the worst brakes to have. Every time i look at mine once i take off the dappers my foot is really fat and ugly, and where the incisions are its all dimpled and looks really deformed!!  my limp is bad, but have issue with my knee to, so thats not helping. Waited to see knee surgeon now about getting it operated on... ooooo cant wait...not!!    hate hate hate  sad  me on a bad day...sx
  • Posted

Got my Brooks tennis shoes and they are amazing !  Get some!  Also their socks if you are willing to fork out the extra bucks but I am!  
  • Posted

Christina,

Thanks for your question-- a good one.

Unless you are an extremely rare bird as recovering ankle patients go (with no ankle pain, foot swelling, or instability in walking/standing), you are better off with sturdy protective footwear. After your first ankle fracture/sprain you will now be more susceptible to future sprains and injuries there, especially in first months/years post-injury.

You want that precious ankle and foot well-supported and secured with sensible, appropriate footwear. This is not the time to consider fashion or comfort alone and skimp on protection.

I don't think flimsy flip-flops or tennis shoes are going to provide any support and protection. I'd think twice before ever going back to beloved high heel fashions. Wearing high heels is just plain asking for more punishing sprains on an already compromised foot.

In my ankle fracture/sprain recovery I use a good orthopedic shoe from Propet. The better shoes for ankle sufferers will have firm heel support to lock heels in place and help stabilize ankle. This is of paramount importance to those who already have chronic lateral ankle instability-- these poor souls can twist, roll, or sprain their ankles easily.

There are some top shelf running shoes that are reputed to be very ankle-supportive.

A shoe with stable arch support can help support injured ankle parts (or use an orthotic shoe insert). A well-padded gel insole will help reduce pain and discomfort from standing/walking on hard surfaces.

Shoes should fit well and be securely enclosed, preferably with enough shoe laces.

If your foot is still prone to major swelling (or edema gets worse towards end of day after walking/standing a lot), orthopedic-style shoes that can accommodate it will be useful. Nothing worse than painfully pinching shoes as the day wears on.

So, let's protect those precious, beautiful ankles-- a marvel of nature, strong and yet so fragile.

• Posted

I have never worn heels.  Lol !!! I meant like shoes that are orthopedic but look normal that aren't tennis shoes that you can wear with dress pants....  that look nice.  I bought some but I discovered u r right , no ankle support!  Taking back and accepting it.  I bought Brooks tennis shoes and these are great!!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.