Regularly dizxy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm currently going through a process of being diagnosed for Menieres. I want to know and understand what it feels like to have Menieres from day to day. I currently have tinnitus. It's loudness varies daily. Daily I have this regular sense of brain impairment, fuzzy in my thinking, dizziness, low energy. I can still do stuff If I push through the different symptoms.. But it all takes effort. It's variable but regular from day to day.. Ive had 3 vertigo attacks in last 2 years. Has anyone had similar experience?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I was diagnosed in July after suffering violent vertigo and vomiting since December. My gp prescribed betahistine which has been a lifesaver as it controls vertigo and seems to help with the ear pressure and tinnitus. Following the ent appointment I also had an mri which showed no cochlear lesions but then no further help. I already had moderate hearing loss so am keen to avoid further if possible. I have driven myself crazy with research and finally located what type of health professional I need to see to get a more comprehensive diagnosis and healthcare plan. This is my next step. If I can’t get a referral then I’ll have to go privately. I have already taken steps to avoid triggers that I know of such as alcohol and caffeine. I hope you find your ent experience a more positive one than mine. 
  • Posted

I too am in the process of being diagnosed with MD.  My first vertigo attack was 2 years ago but as it was just one it was dismissed by my GP. I then started getting them more frequently about 12 months ago along with quite bad tinnitus but after a few months, following a consultants diagnoses of "Vestibular Migraine" and advice to reduce stress,caffeine etc, the symptons went away only to come back with a vengeance some months ago. I then had numerous vertigo attacks, (sometimes 2 in one day), and had to go back GP,audiologist,etc. I have suffered permanent hearing loss in my left ear and am taking 16mg betahistine 3x daily as prescribed by the ENT consultant in September (when I was told it was Menieres) but they stopped working after 3 weeks so had to visit my GP who could only give me Cinnarizine to take on top and that seems to be taking the edge off for now. I haven't had a vertigo attack for 2 weeks now but my tinnitus drives me crazy and I too feel like my brain has stopped functioning, my head feels constantly as though it is on the verge of a full on "spinny" attack and I have so far been able to pinpoint my triggers! I feel exhausted most days and even simple tasks like hoovering the house can wipe me out!  I manage to get to work  most days, (fortunate to have a "desk job" and a daughter who drives) but all I can do when I get home is cook a meal.  Still waiting for MRI results and have a 2nd ENT appointment  this week to rule out anything else! 

When were you diagnosed? Are you on any medication and if so is it helping?

• Posted

Hi Debplus3

My story ia a lttle like you. Had my first attak in Sept 14, it was labelled Labyrinthitis. It was horrific, everything cspun arround me, it was abstract and unrecognisable. It took a few mo ths to partally recover. My gait was unsteady, tinnitus, woolly headed and always feeli giddy. Next was 6 mnth later and following one again 6 months further on. Once I have the vertigo attack it settles and from then on it takes about 5 weeks to get back to where I was at the beginning. Always have tinnitus and during the day I am woolly headed and dizzy. Sometimes better than others. I am not taking tablets as yet, but I fear theyvwill come. Tiredness happens, but not as bad as you are describing. Im now trying to change my diet re: salt, alcohol etc..

• Posted

Hi I have been suffering with meniere's for 15 years but only being diagnosed for about 10 years when I first started I was having very bad attacks off vertigo and thought I was going to die by choking to death the sickness was that severe it also upset my stomach and I needed the toilet at the same time luckily our toilet is at the side of the sink which was very fortunate but getting to the bathroom was another problem if my husband was at work I had to crawl on my hands and knees as the bathroom is straight opposite the stairs. The doctor gave me stemetil tablets 5ml and cinnarizine they helped but still had frequent bad days and I got that I couldn't go out for fear of falling over I couldn't go in the car because any movement made the vertigo worse I even had to give up work to cut a long storey short I was referred to ENT who sent me for different tests MRI scan etc and one of the effects of MD is tinnitus so I was fitted with an earing aid which didn't help it just magnified the noise I am still under my local ENT and go every 12 months for checks but to be quite honest is just a waste  of my time and there's because they say they cant do anymore they just ask me questions how I have been how it is affecting me and then say they will see me in 12 months. In the early days  I was admitted to hospital once and the consulant there prescribed me with Betahistine tablets to take 3 times a day and they helped at the time but for some reason my own GP prescribed the Cinnarizine then also Stemetil  and said I could take both together the vertigo became less frequent but the attacks were still bad and would last 2-3 days then in the last 2 or 3 years my doctor has changed and he prescribed Betahistine and I have been vertigo free still get the dizziness and the tinnitus in fact at the moment my tinnitus has peeked and the noise is quite loud and the dizziness is back but I have learned to live with it and I avoid places with loud noises and eventually it calms down again I also have rely on a stick or my husbands or friends arm to help me walk on the bad days. The doctor has in the past suggested weaning me off the betahistine  tablets but every time I tried the vetigo came back so he has told me to keep on taking them now. I have just joined a forum for tinnitus and the discussions are very helpful and have learned a few things I didn't know before. I hope reading my experience with meniere's  helps you a little Freezefra and hang in there it does get bearable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.