Regurgitating undigested food - what's happening with my stomach?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a bad habit - started about 4 months ago - of burping up food I've eaten. Google calls this "regurgitation." I remember the moment it first started - I was doing a push-up at the gym and I almost damaged the workout pad I was using when a little bit came out of my mouth. So that tells me that what was coming up was fairly acidic.

Fast forward to tonight - after eating too much oily beef broth for lunch, I'm finding myself nauseous, and burping up food to try to relieve the sensation. And I'm noticing something odd. What's coming up out of my stomach is not just beef broth, but also the walnuts I had for breakfast, and everything tastes exactly the same as it did when it went down. It's neither sour nor bitter, but salty and oily, with bits of walnut.

This tells me that the walnuts I ate 12 hours ago are still in my stomach, completely undigested.

I'm like a bird momma, except I don't have anyone to feed except myself.

Does anyone have any light to shed on this? What's going on with my stomach? Should I see a professional?

Aside from all the burping, which is quite gross to anyone but me I'm sure, the only "symptoms" I could name are the re-appearance of eczema on both my hands and extremely dry skin. Some would interpret that as a deficiency of some sort. Otherwise, my sleep is good, appetite is present, can't complain about bowel movements.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You could try some antacid tablets or liquid. If that doesn't work try ranitadine. Try and avoid fatty foods and too much alcohol. If you are having trouble digesting food, it might not be a bad idea to get some vitamin tests to see if you are deficient. B12 would be an important one to check.

• Posted

yes yes at ranitidine works wonders you can get the generic it is really called zantac I take it at bedtime helps get rid of a lot of acid I also take prevacid in the morning and prevacid before supper but this helps me at bedtime so it doesn't come up it's called GERD

• Posted

ask your doctor to send you for endescopy as it sounds like your lpr is not working properly.

• Posted

I sometimes regurgitate food and I also get a lot of acid reflux. I find OTC antacids or milk really help me. Eczema tends to come and go in bouts It can be connected to stress or a food trigger. Try a food diary to identify a problem food and note down if there are any foods that are not digesting well. Have you had any recent stress? this can also upset the gut and cause reflux. My reflux began after exam stress.

• Posted

Seeing a doctor can help prevent more serious conditions. You are absolutely right, unless you have some baby chicks to feed. You should NOT be having those problems. Another test we forget alot about but important is an esophagram. It is a barium drink and then you get behind an x-ray to see where it goes..or not. Or maybe you are about to become a momma bird soon...crosses fingers for ya.

Start tracking your weight loss if it begins.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.