Rehab

Posted , 10 users are following.

I got the opportunity to go into a rehabilitation centre after months in hospital I couldn't have done it without there help had detox in hospital many times but after 5 days they let you out without after care so you are free to start over again

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

That's good to hear Karen.  Do you think you will stay sober now?

• Posted

Yes definitely my life is coming back together before I had to plan everything about where I could get a drink even got banned from sainsbury toilets they twigged I was drinking and they're not licensed

• Posted

The things I read here make me smile sometimes. "Banned from Sainsburys", I am laughing with you, not at you.

I could write a book about some things people say. I remember one lady, desperate for a drink, going to the shop, got a bottle of wine, then found a bush to hide behind on the way home, so she could sink half the bottle. Then she buried it, because all her hiding places at home had been found, and then went back in the evening to finish the bottle off.

Sometimes you need to be able to laugh at the severity of the situation, or you will end up crying.

• Posted

I REALLY DO think you should write a book.....you write very well and interesting enough to keep the reader.

Didn't you read that story with the lady that buried the bottle on here?  I think I read that here too.

• Posted

Yes, that was someone on here, early this year from memory.

I like the fact that people feel comfortable here, allowed to be honest and open. They can say things that they would not dare say to their best friend or partner. I think it feels cathartic for people.

This sortive of furtiveness and the façade that they put up on a daily basis can be dropped for a short time. It is probably quite relaxing for many. A bit like counselling without any blame or moralising.

• Posted

Well done Karen, can you tell me where you went to for rehabilitation? Was it in th UK? my son desperately needs this help and recommendations are very helpful. 
    • Posted

Yes it was a place called voyage in Codnor Derbyshire i think you need a social services referral not sure they sent me there out of hospital

• Posted

Well done Karen

I have been a speaker at a few AA meetings also young offender institutions who have had problems through alcohol

Every day's a new day and a new beginning

Well done

• Posted

Brilliant News, Karen!

You could make a fortune telling your story in Take a Break - especially about the being banned from Sainsbury's toilets. Ha ha ha ha!

love Tess xx

• Posted

Hi karen36....

I do remember all the times throughout my life when I went to "detox" when I was younger...and thinking that because I went I should be FIXED.  It took me a long time to realize that I was just in for detox and the rest was up to me.

I one time was even angry at a liquor store clerk for selling me liquor.  My thought process was like...."don't they KNOW I should not be drinking"?  I knew it was irrational but I wanted some kind of protection from drinking because back then I could not stop myself.

I would get out of detox...and then feel good (this has also been happening to me for the last 2 years)....get out....feel good after a month.....drink.

Unfortunately the decision to drink remains in OUR hands.

When you write your story...it sounds like you were very sick..if you were in the hospital due to drinking....I know that alcoholism is progressive and only gets worse.  

It sounds like for YOU as well as ME...if you chose to drink again you are taking the chance of dying.  I know that is true for me.  Does that mean I will never drink again?  I really don't know.

in the future, I can only hope I won't drink...pray I won't drink...and work on NOT drinking.

The same future is at hand for anyone that currently has a drinking problem.

I hope you make it.....

The same future 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.