Reintroduction of my story

Posted , 2 users are following.

Story of Polymyalgia Rheumatica

First I developed what was eventually diagnosed as fibromyalgia at 34. Then had endometriosis and got a hysterectomy at ago 40. Then a left knee replacement. Then a right knee replacement. While recovering I scooted on a bath bench and hurt my back; I had two kyphoplasties and a third fracture that was left to heal by itself.

Finally about 2010, when I was about 57, two years after my husband died, I felt a new kind of pain, more intense than the fibromyalgia. This pain was through my shoulders and waist, arms, legs. I went to a rheumatologist and he put me on some prednisone to see if I had what he called Polymyalgia Rheumatica. Over the next few days, I felt brand new.

I gradually reduced the Pred to 13mg, but after a bad pneumonea, I went up again to 25mg. Now for the last five years I’ve stayed high on prednisone. I got down to 16 recently, but then went into the nursing home with what the drs thought was my fracture in my back. But I noticed the pain was fierce in my shoulders, arms, waist, hips, legs, just like the bad Polymyalgia. The xrays didnt show that the fracture was any worse, but I spent a month lying flat with horrible pain in my shoulders and neck mainly. The drs don’t want it to be Polymyalgia, I guess.

But yesterday, here at home, I accidentally took two doses of pred. That is 38mg. By evening I felt completely normal and free of pain! My mind stopped obsessing on my health. I read my book, played on the computer; I was myself again!

This, along with reading the papers from my rehab nursing home saying my back fracture wasn’t serious after all, I feel I have PMR, that the back problem wasn’t necessarily caused by Pred.

I wish I could get help . Is there anything to do besides prednisone nowadays?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

There is an expensive biologic called tocilizumab, Actemra, not available everywhere. Lots more information at a more active forum, HealthUnlocked the PMRGCAuk community. You will find most of the people who used to post here over there now, including EileenH (PMRPro).

• Edited

Thanks, Anhaga. I thought the forum was busier; now I know they moved. I tried Actermra, but soon after starting, I developed a bad infection in my leg and stopped it. I am only just recovred from a mess of problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.