Relapse

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on citalopram for 3 months and now I feel awful, all I can think about all day is ending everything. I was 5 months self harm free but I had to do it the other night 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You must see your GP as your dosage sounds like it needs altering
    • Posted

Thankyou for the reply. My GP was awful when I went and also I'm under 18 (I'm 17) so I'm not meant to be on them really so don't think they'll increase my dose or anything 
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling like this.  Some people take longer for the medication to work, and some they're more suited to a different type.  The side effects can be quite alarming at first, and some take longer to get past them too ... but they do pass.  There's many SSRI's on the market and all are tailored to suit different people, so you may find a different will suit you better, or as Tazchurch said, maybe the dose needs altering.  Citralopram is the 3rd type I've been on.

Sorry to hear your GP was awful ..... some doctors can be at times.  Is there another doctor in your practice?  You can see anyone.  Is there anyone close you can talk to?  A family member maybe?

Self harm is quite common, and some find it's a way of releasing their anxiety.  Please talk to someone if you can.  You might feel scared of what's happening, but you're not alone.  There are many ways of releasing anxiety ...... exercise (walking, running, gym etc) relaxation (yoga etc) - and I know it's easy for someone to say this, and I know it's hard for you.  Recovery does take a while, but with the right medication, counselling etc you'll get there.

I believe Prozac is more suited for young people, but you need to see your doctor again.  

Keep in touch here.  People will help all they can.

K xx

• Posted

So sorry you're going through such a hard time 0897.  Not that it helps you out of your present situation but you really aren't alone.  As others have said, either you may need your dose altering or perhaps citalopram really isn't the best meds for you.  There are hundreds of different drugs out there to help you, please do try to get your case across to your GP, I too have a hard time with my doctors, I get 4 mins flat as an appointment, with no time to explain things properly especially as I don't always know how to express how I'm feeling, it's such a jumble at times.  There are counselling services available that you don't have to be referred via the GP to use.  Please look them up.  Contact MIND, they are there for you.  Please don't just continue to take the cit and feel so bad and please talk to us on here, we suffer too in one way or another and many on here have found solutions and can give you hope. xx
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear your going through this, as everyone else has said please remember you are not alone. Having these thoughts are awful and your GP being so unhelpful and unsuportive is extra hard . I know it's a hassle but you have a right to change doctors and having a good one is so important.

I am no expert and have only been on cit 4 weeks (some horrible side effects but some good days) but from what I have heard it should be working by 3 months so it is probably the dose needs adjusting or you need to try something else. Are you having any good days / weeks at all on it? Have you tried counselling?

There are many people out there (including this board, if you feel so bad you want to end it - please - always reach out. You can always also ring the samaritans 08457 90 90 90 (it's not premium rate).

Thinking of you, warmest wishes sent your way x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.