Relapse and new worries

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, early last year due to a lot of personal problems I started daily drinking between 10-12 pints of lager a day starting about mid February 2017.  I had an ultrasound done in May 2017 which showed a fatty liver, so I stopped drinking and started eating right and exercising.   I got a fibroscan done on the 26th of October 2017 by a Hepatologist and the reading was 3.9 Kpa and he said no damage, but Within the last  2 months my mother has been diagnosed with cancer, which has sent me on a  7 week binge of 10-12 lagers a day (very irresponsible I know). Could this have caused me to develop cirrhosis in this time? I have stopped now.  Thanks in advance for any help.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hey Mark,

If you were ok after the first scan, I would doubt you'll get any heavy scarring (cirrhosis) after a 7 week binge. You might find your liver is a bit stressed and cutting out the booze can give it a chance to repair itself. Cirrhosis is when the liver is scarred beyond repair, and the liver can repair itself to a certain extent. It will struggle / fail to do so if abused over a long period of time. (I had a liver transplant due to cirrhosis). Please note that everybody is different so the above is not gospel, but a 7 week binge is more likely to have just stressed the liver and maybe a mild scarring. Hope it works out for you. All the best to your mother. I know it's hard, but I think you'd be stronger for her if you're sober. Good luck.

• Posted

I concur with Matt. But you should find a way to deal with your problems that doesn't include alcohol abuse, because Cirrhosis isn't the only thing to worry about, there are many more. You could die faster from acute alcoholic hepatitis than cirrhosis. Pancreatitis. You could have multi organ failure, like your kidneys stop working and you're gone in days, many many things. Not to mention, falling down or crashing a car or whatever. 

Be well

• Posted

Good point Joel. When i had my transplant my kidneys shut down despite being fine. After the transplant they never started up properly and after 3 years I has to go on dialysis. Currently still on it waiting for a kidney transplant.
  • Posted

Thanks for your kind replies guys, I know I have been irresponsible and need another way to deal with this, I know not all heavy drinkers get cirrhosis, but alcohol can cause other problems. I was just wondering if you could develop cirrhosis after 7 weeks heavy drinkingafter having no damage previously. Thanks.
  • Posted

The Hepatologist said there was more chance of me having a heart attack with cholesterol of 7.8 than cirrhosis which some of you guys were saying.
    • Posted

If you read what we wrote everybody said it is highly unlikely you have cirrhosis.
  • Posted

In order to have cirrhosis you must have at least 15 kpa. You recently had 3.9. I dont think that in such a short time you went

from 3.9 to 15 kpa. You can see with an elastography which is your

Kpa now.

• Posted

Buy some liver cleansing tablets - they do work 😊

• Posted

Thanks for the kind answers as always guys, I just figured that if after 4 and a half months of heavy daily drinking at the beginning of 2017, my liver was at 3.9 Kpa, that a two month binge would hardly have raised this much as emmanuel48509 said, but I know anything is possible.  What liver cleanse supplements do you recommend Sean69?  Thanks again for all your kind replies they are much appreciated.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for all the kind replies as always.  After 4 and a half months of heavy daily drinking and getting a 3.9 Kpa I would have thought it was highly unlikely to go up too much after a 7 week binge as emmanuel48509 said, but I suppose anything is possible.  What liver cleansing supplements do you recommend sean69?  Thanks again for all your kind replies, they are much appreciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.