Relapse at 8 months, feel like I will never be fine again

Posted , 2 users are following.

I got sick from mono 8 months ago and got it confirmed in a blood test 7 months ago.

I am 27 years old and used to be in great shape and worked out 3 times a week. Mono seems to have completely knocked me out.

I have worked home office most of the time and recently started being at the office half a day a week as well. It has been hard, but I managed to do that.

Mono has been incredibly hard and all I have been able to do is to wake up in the morning, log on the computer from my sofa and work and then do basic chores afterwards. It has been hurting to walk and use my arms too. Pain in muscles when I sit as well. I have to take a taxi to go to the hairdresser, work or the doctor. I do have some better days and I definitely generally feel better than I did in the beginning, as the relapse has reminded me of. My concentration has not really been much affected, so working from the sofa has been a good distraction. However, in the last 2 day I seem to have relapsed and gone a lot backwards. Now I am very feverish, sweating a lot in the night, much more fatigued than normal, barely able to walk, feeling nausea, and bedbound. I honestly feel hopeless at this point and beginning to feel like I will never be fine again. If I got knocked out at month 8 with such a powerful relapse, how will I ever be fine again? Before the relapse I got through the days doing what I needed and the basic chores, now I am too tired to do even that. Felt like barely being able to keep afloat holding my life together, than being pushed back down under water from a relapse again. I just want some hope honestly. I am scared to suffer for the rest of my life, and I get especially scared when I get knocked out by this relapse even though I have gotten through them before. But it is not like the suffering ends when I feel a bit better you know? Is there any hope at all at this point for a normal life? My doctors think this will pass eventually, but I have a hard time believing this when I feel so bad after 8 months. I just want my life back, and I want my health to improve before relationships and the career falls apart. This is so miserable, so tiring and hopeless.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Doctor said today it might be covid or the flu and might not be connected to my long term problems with mono. We might be more vulnerable for that with mono too? I miss my old health, I was so skinny at the doctor. 191cm and 79kg. Used to me 10 more kilos when I worked out.

• Edited

Hi.

Sorry to hear that.

I am 27 months into mono, and have had several setbacks. I am still maybe 40% recovered, but I am quite sure that I am on the road to recovery.

Infections like flu and covid are really detrimental in this illness, but don't worry. Eventually you bounce back.

IN my case, the main cause of my setbacks has been my impatience, and me trying to return back to exercise and my active life prior to the illness (due to ADHD). I believe that pacing is the most important factor for recovery. You cannot fastforward your recovery by pushing your body through. You cannot set a recovery time plan for your body. You shold be patient and listen to your body and always move nehind your body , not ahead of it.

Avoid exertions and always stay in your energy envelop. Fatigue is accumulative, like energy. If you push though for several days, that is the most detrimental. Once you have a crash/setback, rest enough until you get energized, and even then, re-estimate your energy envelop.

Prioritize rest ahead of every thing. e.g.., try legs-up-the-wall as frequently as you can during the day .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.