Relapse on Lexapro

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone experienced a relapse in anxiety after several good months on Lexapro?  I think work stress coupled with too much drinking one night (I don’t regularly drink) sent me into anxiety land. I am going on day 5 of pretty bad anxiety. My dr says it could take two weeks to get back to “good old me” and that sometimes people do have relapses. He says it is about learning from these triggers and avoiding them in the future.

Just looking for some hope that others have had bad times and have gotten back to themselves while stat

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry posted too soon.  Just want to see if anyone has gotten back to themselves after a relapse? If so, how long did it take you?
  • Posted

Hi Amber, yes I’ve experienced this a couple of times in the last year and a half. I’m on 15mg by the way.

I call it a blip and mine can be triggered if I’m worried about my loved ones if they are not well! That’s my trigger it seems! 

My dr gave me proporonol to help me through the blip and then it usually settles within the week! Perhaps see if your Dr can give a temporary additional med to take and your relapse will go, it’s hard after feeling good as you think the tablets have stopped working. Let me know how you are soon x

• Posted

Thanks Susan for your reply. It really helps to talk with others you know what these experiences are like first hand. My dr gave me Klonopin to help with the anxiety. I have been taking .25mg twice a day and it does help some. 

This morning I woke feeling a little better, no so anxious, so maybe this is a good sign. I will keep you posted. And thanks again for your replay, it helps tremendously! 

• Posted

Hi, although I'm not on Lexapro anymore, (I take venlfaxine) I know that breakthrough anxiety and panic happen on any of these medications. I've experienced it. It's normal. And your doctor is right. Try some exercise and deep breathing exercises. The "calm" app is great. You can use the limited access of the app and get great relief just by watching the breathing bubble! (Full access requires a subscription). Don't give up your medication, you'll experience withdrawal. Stay the course and I'm sure you'll be okay. Let us know how you're doing!!! God bless you!!

• Posted

Thank you Tammy for your replay. It is comforting to know others have experienced the breakthrough anxiety and it gets better. I will keep you posted!
  • Posted

Hi there,

I relapsed. I first started lexapro for severe anxiety in 2014 right before I got married. At the end of 2018 I decided to get off. I relapsed 6 months later with high stress job and chronic illness that occurred. I think it happens to all of us sometimes. def know your trigger points. I know I had to get back on when I started having many panic attacks a day again from not having one for years. Now 3 weeks in to lexapro again feeling back to normal.

• Posted

i had relapse after being on it for about 10 yrs now ive been getting restless leg on it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.