Relapse Update: Less anxiety, but still not much sleep

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, I just wanted to give an update on my current progress and perhaps get some positive feedback. I submitted a post several days ago, but just to briefly recap..

I was stable on Citalopram 40mg for years, thought I was fine, decided to start decreasing my dosage and potentially go off altogether, but I think I did it way too quickly, and ultimately should not have done it at all.  Over the course of a couple months I went from 40mg to 20mg, then down to 10mg, then 20mg back to 40mg.. Crazy. I know. I had no idea how badly this would screw me up.

Anyway, after about a week and a half back on 40mg, my anxiety has finally begun subsiding again, so that is progress.

However, I am still having issues both falling asleep and stayihng asleep, which is the main reason I think I'm still feeling so out of it. I miss feeling like myself, but I have to be confident that it will come in time again.

For sleep, I tried Ambien for a few nights, but that only puts me to sleep for a few hours and I still feel like junk.

Xanax helped with sleep even less, but I primiarly just needed that last week to help with the anxiety.

I think it makes sense that my sleeping would still be screwed up, but I'm obviously still scared and worried, like we all are during the darker times.

Does anyone have any recommendations for sleep? Has anyone had significant issues with sleep when messing with their dosage?

Thank you all so much.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi..

I can't help with your sleep problems unfortunately but I just wanted to tell you my story.

I started taking citalopram 20mg when my Daughter was 18 months old due to suffering extreme panic attacks and anxiety.

I was taking them for just over 12 years but stopped in December last year. I done this with the support of my Doctor. He was amazing. I slowly reduced by alternating between 20mg and 10mg then went down to just 10mg then weaned off them. Its been 6 months now and at times I have felt like it would be easier to just go back on them but I dont want to. I am doing good. I have the odd day that gets on top of me but Im certainly very proud of myself. The only thing I dont like is that my health anxiety is a little through the roof lol.. I have a huge fear of being ill. In the early days of withdrawal I was so emotional. Lots of tears.. Feeling sorry for myself.. Brain zaps.. Lack of sleep and since coming off them I feel like my body hurts all of the time but I think that is due to stress levels. However I am determined not to go back on them.

They got me through a bad time but there is light at the end of the tunnel.. You can come off them successfully with the right advice and support.

Stop being so hard on yourself x

• Posted

hello lorraine my sister has had the same issues as you (health anxiety) and what she has done for the last for the last few months is receive psychotherapy, and it has been a total success for her, so consider giving that a try. she really is much better for it now
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your support and encouragement, and way to go on staying so strong coming off of the medication! I am sure it has been a difficult journey. I definitely think I just weaned off of it way too quickly and threw me all out of wack. Today and yesterday I have finally been sleeping a little bit better, so I think I am at least making progress.. One day at a time, right?

I wish you the best of luck on your journey and thank you so much for your support!

• Posted

portugalthecam:  i would suggest trazodone taken at night.  that will give you a full nights sleep.  try 75mg first and if that is not enough,  go to 150mg.
    • Posted

My sleeping seems to finally be, potentially, getting back to a somewhat normal state again. Thank you for your feedback, I greatly appreciate it and I will definitely keep trazodone in mind for future reference.
    • Posted

My new psychiatrist actually ended up perscribing some Trazadone for me. I tried 50mg last night, but only gave me a few hours, so I will try 75mg tonight.. Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.