Relation of MD with cervical disorders

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all,

Anyone come across diagnosis of Meniers and its relation with cervical related issues ?

Recently my Doc asked to check my neck X-ray as he is doubting C1 C2 neck degeneration..

Also its been told that all symptoms of Meniers can be found in Cervical (especially C1C2 ) issues too.. like vertigo, tinnitus and imbalance ..

Pl. let me know. I am suffering Meniers for last 2 yrs..

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chandra,

I can't answer your question, but I'll share my experience with you.

Last autumn I heard about the same link that you're talking about, so I went to an osteopath. He said he wouldn't be able to fix my menieres, but that if he found a structural problem he would fix it, and if that happened to solve my menieres symptoms, then that would be great.

My three cervical vertebrae were misaligned, probably as a result of a car accident I was in decades ago. He fixed them, and it gave me freedom of movement which I hadn't had over the years.

However, it sadly had no impact on my menieres symptoms.

Wishing you all the best.

• Posted

usually 4 things could be considered for menieres, C1C2 or TMJ or autoimmune or viral/virus, i have been in treatment for cervical spine and TMJ, i have managed my diet as well, m not 100% ok but atleast not having vertigo. my menieres started last year march.

• Posted

Hi all, I have determined without a shadow of a doubt that menieres attacks are caused by the herpes virus. if youve ever had chicken pox, shingles, cold sores, or been diagnosed with herpes simplex, then you already have the virus in you. And it wasnt until i started taking antiviral medication that my vertigo attacks went away. I am 9 months free from vertigo and I owe it 100% to the antiviral medication valcyclovir! if you cant get a doctor to write you a script, go buy the supplement L-LYSINE. It also inhibits the virus. Try it for a whole bottle. youve got nothing to lose at this point. Good luck!

• Posted

HI.

I am interested in your prescription dosing for Valacyclovir. I took it for 30 days at 3000 mg per day. Should it be continued at what dose and for how long? I did not find it easy to handle. It contributed to further balancing issues since I was recovering from sac decompression surgery. Also caused brain fogginess. Well, menieres disease is a challenge in general. It's always there to remind you of its existence.

• Posted

Ruby, I take 500mg daily. I personally feel that the brain foginess and dizziness is caused by damage from the severe vertigo attacks. i have been taking valcyclovir for 14 years for having genital herpes at age 23. i stopped taking the medication in my early 30's and at 32 my menieres attacks started. i would have a vertigo attack and then be fine for a few months. but the attacks kept happening. Finally i started taking the valcyclovir again after reading online that menieres might be caused by herpes. And it has cured me of vertigo attacks for 9 months now. And because i took the same dosage in my twenties and never had brain fog or dizziness then, i know its not from thr medication. hope thats helps!

• Posted

Thank you. I was prescribed it as another attempt at combating a possible cause. I felt no change. I did have chicken pox as a child. No other out breaks yet.

• Posted

thats too bad that the valcyclovir didnt help relieve your attacks. when you stopped taking the valcyclovir, did your dizziness and brain fog go away completely or do you still have it?

• Posted

I did not have vertigo attacks for about 6 months after the sac decompression surgery but had major balance issues. I took viral medication during that period of remission. When I finished taking them all brain fog went away.

My vertigo has since returned last month with major attacks but seem to be slowing for the last week or so.

• Posted

im wondering if the 3000mg dosage was too high and causing the brain fog. I TRULY feel that the vertigo attacks are caused by herpes viral flare-ups and I am going to stick with taking antiviral medication and also L-Lysine supplements. Viruses also feed on sugar so I am going to stick with a healthy diet and limit my sugar intake. Keeping my immune system healthy with zinc and vitamin C also seems to be helping.

• Posted

Sounds like a great plan. I am diabetic being very careful with that since I am not on medication. Did not know about the virus and sugar connection. Thank you for the information.

Yes, 3000 mg was too high in my opinion but both my ENT and primary care thought differently. So I gave it a try. Was not a pleasant experience. They said that would be the dosing for shingles anyway. So it was normal.

When things settle, may try 500 mg at night.

• Posted

i also have a lifetime history with herpes and it has been acting up monthly for over a year. What is your antiviral protocol? i currently take 1000 mg Valtrex daily and lysine but havent noticed a difference yet. Do you need bloodwork annually to check kidneys and liver. Your post makes me very hopeful.

• Posted

Linda, I only take 500mg of valacyclovir daily unless i have a flare up of the virus, then i will take 1500mg. But 500 mg seems to be effective for me to keep my symptoms of herpes gone. As for it improving my Menieres disease, I can only hope that by starting valacyclovir daily again this past summer, that that is what has stopped my vertigo attacks. i have dramatically changed my diet also so that could be what has improved my vertigo attacks too. I now NEVER eat fast food or frozen processed dinners. I rarely have pizza or things with too much cheese. I still drink caffeine and a minor amount of alcohol. I also eat chocolate bc it doesnt cause me to get vertigo.

• Posted

I have Degenerative Disc Disease in my C2 and C3. I was diagnosed with Meniere's in April of last year as well as Cervicogenic Vertigo. Vestibular Therapy helped immensly as i was taught how to manipulate and relax the muscles in my neck, which greatly reduced the number and severity of attacks.

• Posted

I'm sorry but I don't know about C1 C2 but very open to reading the responses to your post.

• Posted

HI chandra

I was suffering from meniere for almost 18 months and having vertigo attack almost daily but later some one suggested to take GINKGO BILOBA 120 mg twice a day along with BETAHISTINE 16 mg Since then I never had vertigo attack

Now it has been 6 months with no vertigo attack, living my life normally. I have also started driving now as well

Anupam

• Posted

Hi Anupam

Thanks. Good that you are doing well after medication..

My symptoms are different. I dont have vertigo that often ( 3 times in last 18 months. one of that attack was while taking VNG test!).

I suffer mainly imbalance while walking and ear fullness and tinnitus. all the above medications are not helping it. ..In between there seems neck tightness and pain. so my doc asked to have a check with cervical too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.