Relationship anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

In my everyday life I don't normally face anxiety, unless in very difficult situations (normally my father who has had Parkinsons for almost 20 years). Though the anxiety doesn't make me feel sick, it gives me feel nervous.

I've dated a girl on and off for the last 3 years, and the reason things end up breaking off is, as I feel, is relationship anxiety. I assume because I/we have a fear things won't work again, even though before even kissing things are always amazing.

What tends to happen when things become weird/anxious, is that I'd conciously/sub-consciously recognise my girlfriend is acting peculiar/not normal, which in turn makes me almost seize up and not think clearly. Once that happens, I assume the similar happens to my girlfriend who then also "seizes up" and it almost feels like we're both strangers. During that moment, anything I ideally want to say (about the situation) feels like a mountain I need to conquer and I just don't ask it at all.

Has anyone ever witnessed something similar or have any tips to possibly prevent this happening in the future?

Sorry if I've been unclear in my description. Happy to answer any questions anyone has.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No they have never broken up. So I have no idea where it stems from sad

• Posted

Maybe you should start counseling! It will be proven good and you will be able to find the root of it! Best of luck!
  • Posted

I agree with Needhelp, perhaps some form of councelling, where you can have one to one help, would be beneficial

Perhaps the fact that your father, whom I presume you love, has Parkinsons, has made you fearful of showing emotions,

There is no greater power to hurt, either advertently or inadvertently, by those whom we love. The fact that your father has a progressive illness has taught you to be strong for his sake, at the cost of hiding your own true feelings of pain and helplessness

Perhaps you equate loving with being open to getting hurt? This spills over into your relationship with your girlfriend, a holding back emotionally and vocally

And if she senses that in you then she too, will withdraw emotionally and vocally

Being in any relationship is not without risk. The risk of getting hurt. But the alternative is loneliness. Only you can decide whether to assess your true feelings and motives and whether to be open about them

I wish you luck. But don't remain in limbo, okay? Take action to sort out this problem so that you can have  healthy relationships

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.