Relative had good results October 2019 with Robotic Prostatectomy!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello! I haven't had new topics to post here for a while but I wanted to share some good news from a relative in his late 50s who had a very large prostate and few options for relief. He was examined for Urolift, but since his prostate was too big, he was told it wouldn't help. Then he was referrred to Dr Daniel D Eun, MD, at Temple Health in Pennsylvania, USA for a robotic prostatectomy procedure. The procedure is described as similar to "scraping out of insides of an orange" whilst leaving the outer layer (and in theory the nerves, etc) intact. The surgery is doing via laproscopic tools that go through the abdomen, into the bladder and into the prostate.

It's been a month and my relative is very, very happy with no side effects. He brags about the ability to drain his bladder completely which we all know is something we'd like to do again one day. The few days after the surgery were a bit painful and that was the only downside other than the cost of course.

I'm not sure who else in the UK or US does this surgery, but it's good to know there are options out there besides TURP, meds only, etc.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Nearing a decision point to reduce the size of my very large prostate - one doc says 120 to 160 another says nearly 200. Dave's experience certainly piqued my interest in SP. Upon delving into the "procedure" I find much variation and therefore confusion as to what a Simple Prostatectomy is. I would say it is largely a matter of a given doctor's understanding of one.

Just watched a handful of robotic SP YouTubes and not one of them sparred the Urethra. This would be a sure route to RE in my opinion. The doc I personally talked to dissed RE as a sure thing and no big deal. Not my idea of a good outcome. I'll look for a doc who has concern and respect for my well being (and Urethra), more so than his expediency or lack of knowledge/skills.

One YouTube doc had the urethra clearly accessible and snipped it, then went on describing a way to close that would make insertion of a Foley cath more possible (despite his destruction of the natural/original urethral path) should that be necessary in the future. Seems barbaric to me.

• Posted

The reason I am thinking of more treatment on my prostate is because I had the REZUM water vapor treatment on 10/15/2019 and here we are six weeks later and there is no change in the symptoms whatsoever. I still have :

•Frequent need to urinate during the day and at night

•Usually have to urinate every two hours sometimes every hour

•Urinate 10 to 12 times a day.

•Get up three to six times a night to pee

•A slow or weak urinary stream

•Difficulty completely emptying the bladder

•Delay in starting urination

•Urinary stream that starts and stops

•Contract sphincter and press on perineum several times to get what I can out

•Dribble at end of stream

•Spotting in underwear

•Only 100mil to 125mil at a time, sometimes (rarely) 200mil and even more rare 250mil

For me, the REZUM treatment result was like having no treatment at, all, except for the two

weeks I had to be on a Foley catheter and the blood in my urine and ejaculate. Very disappointing and a waste of time and money for me. Luckily, REZUM does not rule out other therapies like TURP, HoLEP, PAE, etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.