Relatively small prostate with a prominent median lobe: what is the best surgery?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello,

I had PAE on July 11.

My urologist told me it did not work.

I am not so sure. Still want to wait some time longer.

However, it might be true that with my big median lobe PAE was not for me.

What could be the best surgery in my situation?

Did somebody with a big median lobe had improvements with TRUP or UROLIFT?

Anything else for my specific situation?

Thank you.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had only a 50g prostate but a large median lobe. Had a TURP in Feb 2019. Resumed all normal activities in 3 weeks. One night in the hospital and went home without a catheter. No side effects except retro but I had that with the alpha-blocker and it doesn't bother me. Best decision I ever made (other than the wife and two kids.). Good luck.

• Posted

I've just talked to my urologist over the phone.

He told me that my last CT scan that they took two weeks ago showed that my prostate was 80 grams.

The test was taken 1.5 month after PAE.

After my PAE was done my IR told me that my prostate was not as big as he thought it would have been.

It means that if my prostate shank 1/3 after PAE it was around 120 grams.

Then why my IR told me it was rather small?

My urologist confirmed that I do have a median lobe.

I also asked my urologist what kind of TURP he does, and he does bipolar.

He told me he used to do HOLEP, but he did not like it. He said it hurts more than TURP because

HOLEP burns.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.