Relief at last from gastritis symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have suffered with stomach ache, nausea and severe stomach discomfort for a very long time.

I had a gastroscopy in November 2017. This showed excess stomach acid burning stomach and duodenum linings. Since then i have been prescribed several medications along with avoiding alcohol, caffeine, spicy food, fried food and acid fruits like tomatoes, oranges and pineapple. I have been back to my GP several times to say that I am feeling no better.

I have had physical examinations and blood tests - all normal.

It is only very recently after telling my GP that I am feeling very stressed and anxious,

that he prescribed an anti-depressant Mirtazapine 15mg (in addition to Lansoprazole 30mg which I was already on )

I am very pleased to say that it has had an instant effect in a dramatic reduction of my symptoms. I feel very much better. My appetite is also much better.

I am reporting this hoping that it will help others with similar circumstances as mine.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

thanks for sharing the experience. DId you do endoscopy to rule out gastritis ,hida for Gallbladder function and ultrasound for gallstones ?

how long have you been taking the Mirtazapine  and when did you see some relief, i got diagnosed with gastritis and non of the PPI is working for me, but i also have gallstones which is not bothering much. so wondering if Mirtazapine  will work for me or not.

• Posted

My GP sent me for endoscopy to find what was causing my stomach ache / nausea / severe stomach discomfort.

The diagnosis was gastritis - inflammation of the lining of the stomach and duodenum caused by excess stomach acid. I was prescribed Lansoprazole. After taking this for a long time and having no relief, I told my GP that I was feeling very anxious and stressed about it all. He prescribed an antidepressant - Mirtazapine.

After taking the first evening dose, I felt a significant easing of my symptoms the very next day. 

• Posted

please do post an update after a week how things are going for you .. but its helpful post if non is working for others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.