Relief from Allodynia: is there a solution ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been suffering from allodynia for 7 years now. It seems to be a kind of neuropathic pain.  There seems to be no non-drug solution. My neurologist told me that "it is just something in the Brain" and there is no treatment except for medications.  He said I had RLS, but my personal perception of this is that he is incorrect.  My perception is that it is : Allodynia (extreme sensitivity to light touch)  The main symptom is a burning  pain-like feeling on my pressure points i.e. elbows, hands, calves, and buttocks (while sitting in a chair quietly. ) As soon as I lift up or change position from resting on those pressure points....the burning sensation is gone.  These are the symptoms of allodynia....extreme sensitivity to very light touch....it's an almost painful sensation.... I had been on gabapentin for 4 years with minimal relief.  The side effects were much worse than the allodynia it's self !  I would be enormously surprised if anybody out there has experienced relief in any way (besides meds)......this condition is apparently permanent and I guess I just have to live with it. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You are far better coming off gabapentin and trying to learn to live with the pain since side effects were worse than your symptoms.  I have neuropathy due to injuries and I refused low dose antidepressants because I felt medication side effects would be worse than the neuralgia.  My pain comes and goes and I have decided to accept my flare ups.
    • Posted

Pippa did you ever try gabapentin or Lyrica? I also have small fiber neuropathy but so far they are saying its idiopathic (unknown cause). Its been seven years. I get every neuropathic symptom out there except for numbness.  I take 250 mgs of lyrica but i do not feel it helps with my pain, I want to try and go off lyrica but I have been taking it for 4 years and know it wont be easy!  I often wonder if I can live with the pain without the meds. Does your pain actually go? what type of neuropathy do you suffer with?
    • Posted

I decided not try any medication because I feel that the side effects would make my symptoms worse. My neuropathy comes and goes particularly during cold, damp weather but hot weather clears it up. It started after a fall on my elbow and a badly done blood test.  The neuropathy in both arms used to be constant. My doctor simply told me I have nerve pain. 

The initial days and months of the pain were tough to deal with, but once I started to get pain remissions, I started to learn to live with it. If your meds don't help with the pain, you probably would be better to come off them and try and live with it. is no point in taking meds that don't benefit you. 

I am a writer and I have a great social life and this is far more important than my pain.  I think having lots of distractions from it really helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.