Relief from Coughing/sneezing and straining headache?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

Quick history.

I have a Chiari 1, I have had various intensities of headaches since childhood.

I am 50 now. Had 4 concussions in my lifetime Since 2016 I have had a terrible time with anything that causes cerebral pressure to increase. Eg. coughing, sneezing, straining of any sort, sexual activity, exercise of any kind unless I am very careful to control the breathing and ensure I don't do anything to strain. I absolutely can not bend over to tie shoes without getting an instant headache. in fact, all these things cause instant headaches that can last for days but usually about 6 hours. I had Lyme disease summer of 2016 which was treated but also aligns perfectly with the onset of my current symptoms. They originally suspected meningitis, I had a spinal tap. Clear. It wasnt until a nurse found the bullseye on the back of my knee that Lyme became the issue. Neurosurgeon recommended against surgery. Currently Neurologist is trying different medications that I am confident will fail. So few of them know how to treat Chiari symptoms and almost always want to start on migraine treatment. So frustrating. Already looking for another Neurologist.

Has anyone else had these "coughing Headaches"? Have you found any relief of any kind?

Thank you in advance

Kenny

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i get head aches when i cough or if im unwell the pressure from vomiting is unreal i really feel your pain i hate haven chiari

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. Does anything give you relief?

• Posted

sleep lol i alway have sumthing wrong its horrible but spose gota get on with it i hope u have better luck than me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.