Remeron for insomnia, anxiety and weight gain

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I have just started Remeron for  mainly severe chronic insomnia and am Adult ADD. I have tried almost every other sleep medication out there.  My Dr. said   this should definitely help me sleep. On low dose 15mg. but may gain weight. She said I may escape that trap if I am dilligent due to being very active, such a low dose and mainly because I am on 30mg Vyvance daily..  I took my first dose  last night and WOW...k, I am 58 and come from the days of has brownies. lol That is all I can equate it to, but boy did I sleep.  So far today the Vyvance is doing it's thning and I am not craving more food than normal. Please tell me there is someone out there that has not gained an enormous amount of weight because that will make me depressed even though I am taking it for anxiety and not depression. I realize I will have to be dilligent about it.  But best nights sleep I have had in Years. Ambien makes me eat constantly until I go to bed and the next day I feel almost suicidal so that is out.  Benzos of course are heaven but i build up a tolerance quickly. As my insomnia is chronic I need something I can take nightly and you can't with benzos but lord do I wish you could. They relax me without making me feel different. I have tried other antidepressants  for anxiety and insomnia and none other have worked.  I have read that many people with add turn to Remeron.  I am hoping I have finally found a  med that works.  Has anyone maintained their weight? Also is there anyone else out there with ADULT ADD taking it? Would love to hear from you. Thanks

Miss Clairol #ain'teasybeingaleft-handedblondelol

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've took it for 10 months and haven't gained any weight. But I never put any on any anyway. I can't eat anything and not gain weight. I have read from a lot of people that have gained weight though. It's never made be sleet either in all the time I've took it.

• Posted

I was on the drug (7.5 mg) for a month for insomnia and to improve my appetite.   It helped with sleep for a couple weeks, and then the effects wore off and I was again waking up at 3-4 am.  It definitely improved my appetite as I had been losing a lot of weight.  I have been off the drug now for over a month and my appetite still seems to be on overdrive.  I had lost about 45 pounds in 1.5 months and was concerned about further weight loss.  This drug definitely helped.  You will need to closely monitor your night time snacking.  I was literally going down to the kitchen every 15-30 minutes and eating cookies, triscuit, etc.  Seems to cause carbohydrate cravings.  What dose are you on?  Are you having side effects?  Are you having difficulty getting out of bed in the morning?
  • Posted

I am at 30mg for about a year and a half, no weight gain and sleep seven plus hrs a night. I also take 10mg escitalopram (Lexapro). But I walk 4+miles a day and am careful with my food intake. 
  • Posted

Mirtazapine does not increase my appetite (maybe I am different ). I have been on Mirt for over a month now (45mg) I eat healthy and run a lot. I have not gained any extra weight. I am taking Mirt for the second time in my life and it did increase my appetite then but not this time! 
  • Posted

I was on Mirtazapine/Remeron for anxiety and insomnia. It did absolutely nothing for my insomnia even at 15mg. Still lay awake for hours after getting in bed. For me the "Z" drugs like Zopiclone & Zolpidem are far more effective for me in getting to sleep and I wasn't groggy the next day like I was on Mirtazapine.

• Posted

I agree with you.  I was on Mirtazapine (7.5 mg) for a month and absolutely hated it.  I felt horrible in the morning and it really didn't do much for my sleep.  I just started taking low dose Ambien (Zolpidem) and after two nights it seems to be working well.  I have woken up feeling refreshed and I have NO grogginess.  I experienced grogginess and lack of motivation every morning while taking Mirtazapine.  On Mirt, I had difficulty just getting out of bed.  I'll never go on Mirtazapine again.  Horrible drug.

• Posted

I agree. I find when I take Zopiclone or Zolpidem it starts to work in 20 mins and I am asleep quickly. Much better than tossing and turning most of the night with Mirtazapine. I know doctors are reluctant to give people Z drugs because they fear addiction, but sleep is also addictive too. No one wants to feel like death through lack of sleep.
  • Posted

How you getting on now I can't sleep at all any helpful advice would be much appreciated xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.