Remeron Withdrawal Help (positive storied plz)

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have been off remeron completely for almost 3 weeks aftee being on 30mg for about a year, i felt like it was time to come off since this is my first time being on an antidepressant and the weight gain was awful. the doctor before me also had me on seroquel (which had horribke side effects) and buspar (which infelt did nothing) my doctor agreed and we started the tapering off my meds

everything was fine, and being off the other 2 meds was great (took about 6 months to get off those) until i completely stopped the remeron. insomnia kicked in, anxiety kicked it, mood swings, surges of anger and crying, intrusive thoughts have been running through my head all day . i am trying to push through. my sleep has gotten better, but my mood swings are horrible. I have never experienced anything like this before, and am scared this will not go away.

has anyone else experienced this while coming off of remeron? i feel like no one understands me because they haven't been through this and am desperate to find someone who does. my doctor gave me xanax to help with the anxiety, but have been avoiding it since i don't want to take too much because i don't want to have to deal with another experience like this. if you made it this far on this post, thank you for your time.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

first off bless you, i know how you feel, been there and healed, can i ask how long youve been off the other meds for? x

• Posted

thank you. i have been off the other meds since this past december. in 2018 i started getting bad anxiety, i did not know what was happening, was very uneducated in the mental health world and unfortunately ended up with in a pill mill with a doctor who had me on over 14 medications within a month. i ended up having to check into a treatment center and that is where i was put on more medications, including klonopin, remeron, buspar and seroquel. after reading about klonopin i asked to be taken off that early last year. when i checked out of treatment, i found an amazing doctor who was very patient with me and helped me understand the medications i was on. i started having horrible eye pain, restless legs and muscle spasms so that is when we decided to get me off the seroquel (it was tough, but those side effects stopped).

i felt ready to begin to taper off the remeron and my doctor honored my request and went from 30 to 22 to 15 and then no more. like i said, everything was fine and i was feeling very positive and hopeful until about 2 weeks ago when the mood swings and rush of anger and frustration kicked in. i don't know if anyone else has experienced this but i feel like i am going crazy and am scared this wont stop. my diagnosis was general anxiety disorder.

• Posted

so how long was your taper and did it start as soon as you stopped mirt or during taper ?

• Edited

your taper off mirtazepine sounds too fast. how long did you taper. if you stopped at 15mg i believe that is too high of a dose to stop at. I'm doing slow taper with liquid. I can only manage 2.5 % to 5% weekly. Even 5% is hard at times and I will slow down to 2.5% sometimes.

• Posted

that's what i was thinking, but my doctor suggested we moved quicker if possible because he says remeron is one of those medications where you feel stronger side effects at lower doses (which is probably why i slept so much and ate more when i was on the 15mg)

has anyone else experienced mood swings while tapering off? They are making me feel like i'm going crazy.

• Edited

I have been tapering very slowly from 7.5 mg for about 9 months. Every time I stepped down significantly I had anxiety most days. I am now cutting the 15 mg. tablets into sixteenths and taking one sixteenth per day. I am gradually having fewer anxious days. Having few anxious days is the signal for me to press on with the next reduction ( for me zero, if all goes well.) Everyone is different, but unless there is a good medical reason for stopping abruptly, I would suggest going down in small stages, and keeping a one- line per day record of what you took and whether the night and day were respectively good or bad. Then you will have good data to review privately and with your doctor. I hope and expect you will be OK.

• Posted

thank you! that's not a bad idea. I see my doctor next week so a tracker to have sounds like something useful to have

• Posted

I had to cut my dose from 30 mg to 15 to control the intense need for sugar. I had the side effect of loss of taste on 30 and its improved somewhat. qhen I went completely off came the agitation and severe headache. my dr last week stopped the remeron and added abilify. I have noticed restlessness again

• Posted

i honestly did not know how bad my food and sugar cravings were until i came off of it. when i was on remeron, i was constantly getting up for snacks at work and had to be always eating something. my second day off, i noticed that i wasn't getting up every 10 minutes from my desk to eat something. it's incredible how some of these medications affect your brain. i hope your restlessness gets better though.

• Posted

update: my sleep has gotten better, the oast 2 days i havent felt the intense mood swings as much, i just still "don't feel like myself", if that makes any sense. concentrating has also been difficult.

hoping to hear some more stories of people who have successfully come off though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.