remeron withdrawl insomina

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, i have been using the drug for 5 years or so - 15mg daily.

I have been tapering slowing from March this year until July, with no problems. I have reached 3.75 . However, upon the first night of the 0 dosage, hell broke loose - i could not sleep more than 4 hours. I had no problem sleeping.

I rushed to the doctor and he told me "just hold on to it, it will get better in 1 or 2 weeks tops".

However, after those 14 days have passed, i gave up ,and went back to 1.8. We only have 30mg tablets here, and it's already difficult to get to that 1.8, so no chance of going smaller than that. that 1.8 allowed me to sleep more or less, but with 0 - cannot go over 4 h hours. I've tried Ginger, valerian, nothing.

Any advice?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

similar thing happenned to me iwas down to 1mg or 1.5 mg more or less would only sleep few hrs after a while body got used to that dose but sometimes would have to take bit more round 2 pm awful! so i just stopped cold turkey took melatonon it helped a bit but i went thru bad withdrawels and stuck it out it took bout 3 months but was determined to go off the drug whenever r u stop u gonna get withdrawals u just r have to wait it out or g o back in what helped me was yoga walking in morning and at night healthy foods yoga meditation but i was very sleep deprived now i am sleeping 6 to 7 hrs and soooooo glad i came off the drug good luck

• Posted

Can you tell me how long it took you to get to 6-7 hours (sounds like a dream right now)

• Edited

After myself having hellish insomnia coming off mirtazapine, you're making a good decision to get off it. Have you looked at a sleep clinic, mine was just a lady at the doctors with lots of good advice. I thought it would be a total waste of time but wasnt. As part of the sleep clinic I tried melatonin for 4 months - (good) and wrote a sleep diary so I could see if I was improving. I did but its not a sprint but a marathon. See what workes for you by experimenting. The things that worked were 2 x 150 mg magnesium tablets just before bed - great. Blue blocker glasses (very effective and make you yawn) hot milky drink before bed and no screens after 7 pm. Also no tea coffee after midday. Been off Mirt for 1 and 1/2 years and my life's turned around. I came off 30 mg Mirt so you can do it!

• Posted

yes it was good for 4 years !!! different stage of my life now dont need it any more my body knows how to sleep when its tired i sleep simple as that!

• Posted

i ask because it seems those that go on it for insomnia get particularly bad rebound insomnia. i went on it for anxiety.....made me worse.

• Posted

Hi Sarah you can read the sordid story here

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/kicking-mirtazapine-and-insomnia-to-the-curb-679690?page=0#3469146

but my symptoms were GAD (general anxiety disorder) feeling depressed and all this made much worse by lack of sleep and sudden inability to sleep. I found just lack of sleep made me think crazily and become very insecure and anxious.

I also read how, when trying to get off Mirt, this rebound insomnia was like an inevitable curse that is going to happen that no one can get through.

However, when on Mirt and reading the worst case scenarios, the mind feels helpless and is extremely suceptible to any crumb of information and obsesses over it. The miracle was, once off Mirt though these manic anxious and fearful feelings disappeared. Which then obviously helps you relax and sleep normally. Sleep took about 5 months to get back to near normal. At first I had the wierdest constant array of dreams where I slept very lightly and kept waking, and the dreams made no sense. Like cleaning out the brain closet perhaps. Waking about 5 times a night. Then they became interesting dreams and I slept for longer. I think having other issues going on in your life eg. relationships can also play on your mind and slow progress. I forgot to mention black out curtains and earplugs are good for sleeping too. Anyway I hope that helps

• Posted

thankd. so overall you would say you felt better once off mirt than on it ?

• Posted

worked for 4 years then stopped feel much better off it i do not like taking drugs so yes

• Posted

Yes, once it's all gone from your system. Life is great now. I didn't want to depend on a drug either

• Posted

i went on it for insomnia got rebound insomnia for bout 3 months not anymore

• Posted

i went on it for insomnia got rebound insomnia for bout 3 months not anymore

• Posted

hi, i came off mirt a year ago and still can't sleep properly. i was only on it 6/7 months. i now take melatonin 10 mg every other night ( get it online) . then other nights, Gaba tablets ( available on line) even with these i only get 4 hours solid sleep then on and off another 3 hours. my body is used to this now and its my norm . i try and think well u cant die from lack of sleep and a fee hours sleep is better than none. i was getting anxious about it which made things worse. i accept my routine now and am fine.

• Posted

did you taper or come off cold turkey ?

were you put on it for insomnia ?

• Posted

hi i tapered off it. i was on it as both parents died within months of each other. i could not eat or sleep. the tablets were a life saver. after 6/7 months i tapered down from 15 mg. which is a whole tablet. then after 3 weeks took 3/4 of the tablet ( got pill cutter to do this. ) available on line. then after 3 weeks took half tablet. Then after another 3 weeks a 1/4 tablet. Then after another 3 weeks i started to take a quarter if the tablet every other day. . Then after two weeks stopped. It was hard especially morning anxiety. i started reading various books on anxiety ( available from Amazon) or local library. These really helped explain coping measures to deal with that. The sleeo thing im stuck with i think. Like i said i take melatonin 10 mg and Gaba tablets which do help. Bendryl antihistamines help aswell. I do breathing exercise in bed too. These help u relax.Take a deep breath through your nose. Hold it in for ,10 secs then breath out through your mouth , really breath out too, Pushing all the air out repeat this 5 times.Always focus in your breathing. It takes practice but helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.