Reminding folk how we feel

Posted , 14 users are following.

It seems we certainly are not alone in people forgetting we are ill, or at least  not taking our usual chores or activities for grsnted. Who has a suggestion that will remind people, especially our spouses, that underneath this facade are definite pains, aches, and/or terrible fatigue without making them angry? There must be a better way than having one's arm in a sling or carrying around a crutch or cane. With Halloween approaching soon, one might readily find sales of Freddy Krueger or Michael Myers masks--but that would frighten everybody including ourselves. I've resorted to simply wearing a Peanuts band-aid on my finger. My wife knows why, and she thereby remembers, and others wonder why an 80 year old guy is wearing a Snoopy band-aid. It works for me (and gives me a chance to share why I idolize everything Charles Schulz has done), but I'm sure you all may have better reminders to those around us without aggravating them?

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I always smile and say "that's a loaded question" but thanks for asking.

How are you doing? It's easier for me to steer away from that question

unless I know the person asking is a true friend who will really listen

to my whines and complaints if I am in that mode, but I try not to let

my illness define who I am

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.