remission

Posted , 5 users are following.

Is it possible to be in remission with pain but all lab tests are normal? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My rhuemy says I am but it's been a year since labs. Hmm. I wonder what they look like? Enbrel has been a blessing. I'm around fifty percent of my usual abilities which I'm thankful for and though not painless, so much better than a couple years ago. I'll be going back for a checkup but not too soon. You have me curious now.

I hope you are in remission and doing very good! We deserve a break from the RA. It really had me down.

Best of luck River!

• Posted

I have been on Enbrel for a little over a month now and I haven't had a flare but have a lot of pain still. I can't do regular work anymore without suffering. I'm hoping it will improve. When I took Humira it was the same way, I thought it was going to be wonderful but after a month or two I went into constant flares. The way I am looking at it, I will be in remission when I am rid of the pain and can do daily functions without pain. Just hoping the new rheumy sees it that way.

• Posted

Hi, I asked a similar question a little while back. I'm on Plaquenil and so don't have regular blood tests and only see my rheumatologist once a year. Saw him recently and as with last year once again he said I was in remission. That was despite me telling him I'd recently had a lot more pain in several joints. I didn't have any swelling and according to previous blood results everything was at a level low enough for him to feel I was in remission. It's very good of course but I suppose I just thought that would mean all the pain would be gone. Clearly it doesn't mean that. I guess it's all about degrees and as far as my rheumatologist is concerned my RA is being managed well so I have to accept that. I have what I think are very shirt lived flares...only last a few days and will often feel completely zonked and then it passes. He said that means I "fluctuate" and it's better to be like that than constantly flaring as potentially more damaging. Hope that helps. Good luck.

• Posted

"short" lived flares!! 😀

• Posted

Thanks for the response Debra, I am going to see a new rheumy the last of this month and I keep reading articles of how they view things like remission. I am currently see a regular family doc and I really like him but I was under the impression that sometime along the way I would be pain free. Now I'm afraid the new rhuemy will see things differently and really get me screwed up. I don't like how I have to travel over 100 miles to see them and appts are few and far between and to hell if you are in a flare just take more prednisone. I'm also afraid she will try and make me take prednisone daily and give me MTX which I will refuse. I've already told my husband if I don't like her I will go back to my family doctor. The one thing I've learned out of having RA is that no doctor has the right to make me do anything. I've already had one bad experience with a rheumy and was doing exactly what he said and I suffered tremendously until I went to my family doctor. At least there I can walk in and get a shot if I need one and see him within the week. 

• Posted

It is possible to have OA Too if the joints have become damaged
  • Posted

You are so right river ! Remission is no pain and no fatigue. My blood tests were looking terrific when taking MTX but my life was aweful and I experienced every day pain.

I am on a remission today. It took some time, about 6 months. I have 95% my life back for now, no pain, no fatigue and no side effects. That is remission.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.