Remission of spasms

Posted , 4 users are following.

Would like for those out there who have experienced a phenomena  where there has been a consdiderable length of time - 3 or more weeks - where HFS has completely abated?  I am very elated with the thought that this condition may never re-occur  but with very guarded optimism.  Certain habits prior to this recent experience were put on the shelf for one reason or another that may have  contributed to this present situation, not sure.  I will elaborate a bit , but for now, as any one had somthing like this happen to him/her? 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi skypuppy,

Interesting. You are very lucky.

I have always suspected that the vertebral column can and do change shape from injuries at any level and in time the segment at C1,C2 may be tilted causing a change in hemodynamics around the vessel close to the trigeminal nerve making it hypersensitive and hence the spasms.

I do get reprieve and normality from time to time but it does not "cure". I notice bad sitting and if the head is down, the twitch gets real bad and am always aware conciousness of the spasms create anxiety and worsen it.

Keep maintaining your good posture and habits and may you continue to be that way for life.

Cheers.

• Posted

Windhurt, thank you for the theories. There is a certain method that can be done with my facial expression that would cause the twitching to immediately occur - and this is no longer possible. Not even a slight hint. Another way, just simply by chewing on food, no longer occuring. 

Would be great to think some changes in my diet would be the reason.  One of which is havng to drink only water. Only other beverage taken was a few beers at a restaurant. Eliminated any foods containing chocolate , also. 

Vertabral column change , that may the case.

• Posted

Mine has eased off a it following an operation and I put that down to the relaxation of the nerves and muscles all over the body. I have noticed before that a GA almost always improves my lumbar pain and this time it has certainly damped down the HFS although can still feel it round my mouth and chin.
    • Posted

Hi Jenny , praying that you continue to improve and will eventually be completely over it. Mine also when to the mouth and lower jaw area. I am 

at a loss as to why it is no longer occurring, but have my fingers crossed. I may have to take some bold steps to back and track and find the cause, though I'm not looking forward to expereincing the spasms any further. It's been a very frustrating experience the past 4-5 years.

• Posted

Hi Skypuppy,  I am one of those people who had an atypical presentation of HFS.  During my 9 year journey with this condition I experienced probably 6 periods of complete remission ranging from 2 weeks to 8 months.  I'm sorry to tell you that the spasms always returned and they usually returned after a period of stress.  The medics were unable to tell me why I had these remissions and just described me as 'atypical'.  But, I hope for your sake that you may be in permanent remission.
    • Posted

Hi Roseann, this is my first experience of a remission that I would consider noticeable enough to get excited about. If it can endure for as long as 8 months, I would be ecstatic.  Wondering if a 'permanent' case has ever been noted. 

The odd thing about this recent occurance is that I am going thru a major relocation to another state and have confronted all kinds of stressfull situations with costs, traveling, new home repairs (major), it's a wonder how the spasms have subsided at all. My body must be doing/changing  something that is not obvious for me to determine why or how. All I can do is stay with the regimen I have presently been on for the past month and see  what unfolds.

• Posted

All fingers crossed for you 'Skypuppy'.  Sounds like you've given the spasms reason enough to return but they haven't!  That has to be encouraging.  I've been on these forums for about 4-5 years and haven't unfortunately heard of anyone who has experienced spontaneous 'cure', but never say never eh, and I hope you will be that person.  Enjoy it for however long it lasts; I know I did!  And now I enjoy it all the time because I've had the surgery and thankfully it worked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.