removal hardware broken wrist

Posted , 4 users are following.

Getting hardware removed/tendon repair from 9 yr. old compound fracture. I had a wonderful repair of the compound fracture & skin graft of my left wrist with no residual problems, pain, etc. but just found out due to tendon passing over plate, it is shredded. I will be having surgery next week for hardware removal & hopefully surgeon will be able to graft a tendon from same area in my wrist to repair the torn tendon and my thumb will once again function properly. He did tell me it will have to be splinted. Has anyone reading this had a similar surgery. I am a 77 yr. old widow and plan to come back to my home after a day or so at my daughter's home.

3 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

iI am replying to my own post...not sure how to do this! I am 13 days post-op and doing fine. Surgery went well although doc did have difficulty removing plate as bone had grown over it after 9 years. Nerve block and pain med worked well and I was off med day 3. Just looking forward to June 16 when splint comes off and done with sling. Hope all this goes as well as original repair and it was "like it never happened!"

• Posted

i recently had hardware removal from wrist and a tendon repair of my thumb using a palmaris longus tendon graft due to the plate rupturing my flexor tendon in my thumb. the surgery was january 5th 2018. im 16 days post op and im experiencing pain in my wrist. numbness and tingling sensations in my thumb, index and middle fingers. i go for a follow up to see my hand surgeon tomorrow. the pain, numbness and tingling is excruciating. are these symptoms normal?
  • Posted

Hi, after breaking my wrist badly last Nov 10th, I had a plate/pins inserted. Its been a long & painful journey to the point that I am at my lowest.

I cannot bend my wrist forward or backwards & my grip is very poor. I am back at work after over 4 months being off. The tightness is so debillitating but yet I do my exercises rigorously.

Iv seen my consultant who has told me the plate is to be removed.

This worries me yet I live in hope that it will enable me to be able to bend my wrist & have better use.

I would love to hear of others who have had this similar break with the plate being removed & their progress.

I fully sympathise what you are going through & wish you a full & speedy recovery. Let me know how your progress goes.

Regards

• Posted

Thank you Elaine for your response. I am doing great. Now in a removable splint but still in it 24/7. I have started therapy and my therapist who travels all over  the country working, says it is as good a tendon repair as he has ever seen and my surgeon will be proud of his (surgeon) work! I will tell you the therapist did say he usually sees hardware removal months not years after being placed. I do hope after your removal that will solve your problem and you will get full use of your wrist. I guess I was really blessed 9 years ago with my recovery because it truly was "like it never even happened" and I pray that you will feel that way someday also. I will keep you in my prayers.

• Posted

Oh many thanks for your reply Nancy, it gives me hope tbh. It drives you to such despair after all the work I put in.

Being back at work maybe doesnt help but have no choice.

I do so pray when my op is done I will get full or near full recovery. Just to be able to drive again.

Good luck for the future Nancy...Il keep you updated.

• Posted

and thank you Elaine. It does help to know others have gone through similar situations and know that people do care about you. As I said, I will be praying for your full recovery.
    • Posted

Many thanks Nancy, it certainly does help to know what others experience & puts my mind at ease somewhat.

Take ccare

• Posted

Hi. I have just had my plates and screws removed 17 days ago as I had very limited movement in my wrist supination/pronation being the worst and limited flex/extension. I broke my distal radius and ulna in May 2016. I also developed CRPS so have had a very rough time of it all. The removal

Of plate op was much easier than I imagined. Just in a bandage and padding for a week then removable splint ( Velcro ). Physio started one week after op and sutures out 14 days after op. At present I cannot move my wrist any more than pre op but I live in hope. ! I'm at the end of my tether on this long, hard arduous voyage and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel at present. I've done everything I'm told and more but no real change. I will keep trying. I'm sure you will get the outcome you're looking for. I just had complications but am still hoping for a reasonable end result. Good luck with the op and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply Vicky it sure gives me hope at last. I know my break was only 8 mths ago but it feels like forever.

I see my consultant end of July but I am on the waiting list for removal of hardware.

Just hope there is improvement in my movement as I still cannot bend my wrist forward or backwards. CRPS is a nightmare so Im taking Gabapentin which Im not happy about.

I returned to work 2 mths ago....end of day my wrist/hand is more painful but at least Im using it.

I will keep you updated also.

Good luck for a full recovery..you have my deepest sympathy.

• Posted

Hi Elaine, when you say you are on a waiting list, do you live in U.S.? I know in some countries it's not easy to get things done as soon as I have been able to.

• Posted

Hi Nancy,

I live in the U.K.

Swansea to be precise

I cannot understand why I have to wait considering its an ongoing injury, but thats what my consultant told me on my last visit.

Im due to see him in July & going to question why in the hope I can have it done asap.

The pain is still with me & I can no longer move my wrist...so unbearable atm...

• Posted

I was CT scanned and told on Dec 16 I was put in the "list" for hardware removal and got mine in June 17 so it's not a short wait. Some consultants say they won't remove hardware until a year after original Op/ break

• Posted

Hi Vicky, do you also live in UK? We may be looking at changes in our healthcare here in the US also. I am on Medicare and it is scary to not know what will happen. I can't imagine waiting so long for surgery. 

• Posted

Yes I live in the UK - near Windsor in England. It is pants having to wait so long but I'm an NHS supporter through and through!

• Posted

Hi Elaine, as I just responded to Vicky, I can't imagine having to wait so long to have surgery. I did have to see my primary doctor on May 8 to be referred to my surgeon and saw him May 22. 

Hi Elaine, As I told Vicky, I can't imagine having to wait so long for a proceddure. From the time I saw my primary care doctor to my surgery was 2 weeks. I know the US healthcare system is different from the UK but like you said this was an ongoing situation. So I hope you can get this done soon. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

• Posted

Thank you Nancy, Im all for the NHS to, they are incredible considering all the stresses & strains put upon them.

You live in a beautiful part of England.

Im hoping they can do my op a lot sooner than 9 months plus....the thought of waiting that long drives me to despair.

Fingers crossed...which I still cannot do yet lol....

Stay safe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.